Demographics?

I have noticed a recurring discussion amongst some of our instructor types, that being the "attitude" of the occasional student. I was wondering if this is a function of demographics and is something that the helicopter community will not be immune from.

If you take a close look at our Canadian society today, and the younger generation that will be bearing the torch soon, do we see a work ethic that is different from say my generation - tip of the tail of the baby boomers? If so what can we do, or should we do to ease this industry into this mind-set? Rather general statement I know, but I was wondering what you instructors are actually seeing, and do my views accurately reflect this?

Tawk amongst youselves. :unsure:

I'm not an instructor, but I have noticed a few things.

- The 'new generation' doesn't have the same work ethic that we did. I didn't have the same work ethic as my father. His didn't have the same work ethic as his father. Ad nuaseam.

- Flying is no longer 'cool'. It used to be 'cutting edge', but has now become blasé. Young folk who are used to fast-paced computer world quickly become bored with the tedium of aviation, once the initial thrill wears off.

My two nephews are good examples. They are city kids who are glued to a screen of some form most of the time. They have not developed the mechanical aptitudes that I or my friends did, nor do things other than computers excite them.

I remember when I was young, my uncle would pull up on his Yamaha 650 and be God in my neighbourhood. If he were a helicopter pilot as well, we'd have probably erected a statue of him.

Nowadays, I feel that I'd have to pull up on a computer-generated holographic space-modulator to get a rise out of them, 'cus they walk by this helicopter-flyin' motorcycle-ridin' dude like I was an accountant in a 72 Vega.

"- Flying is no longer 'cool'. It used to be 'cutting edge', but has now become blasé. Young folk who are used to fast-paced computer world quickly become bored with the tedium of aviation, once the initial thrill wears off."

I don't know where I fit into the age demographic here, but being 22 (and trying not to step on any toes here..) I'm going to hazard more so towards the young side of things. I assure you CTD, there are a few of us young whipper-snappers (I'm sorry I couldn't resist) for whom flying will never become an ordinary occurance, although I do hope it becomes an every day occurance.

As for work ethic? I imagine there have always been lazy people, and there probably always will be, but hand me a broom or a hose and I won't disapoint.

And hey, the more people who are lazy, the better I look. ;)

Besides, who ever wasted a night away at the bar with beer and stories of fixing computers?

tDawe

CTD - One thing I have noticed on my travels is the number of students, that after spening their required $45K or however much they do spend, they expect to get a top line job immediately and that they should be paid the big bucks straight off.

Gone are the days where guys would work as loaders or ground crew for years before progressing up the chain in the company. All the old timers I speak to reiterate that they could not have asked for a better understanding of the industry, than spending time working as ground crew, before becoming a pilot.

There are some out there willing to put the hard yards in, but as you said the emphasis on earning your right to be employed, versus expecting the right, is not there anymore, or at least that is what I have seen.

Heli Ops

all right....i'll jump into the fray..............

it's amazing to me what you see in a group of aspiring aviators.........

i pull up to the hangar every morning at 0700 and either waiting or arriving shortly thereafter are the students that i think will go far. their flight may be in the afternoon but they show up first and leave last. never roll their eyes when told to grease or DI a machine. when not flying they are reading/studying ect.

then there are the ones that will show up just before their flight and leave shortly thereafter but hey, this ain't highschool, they don't have to be here.

both groups can fly. they will all leave school with 100 hours and their shiny new licences. so what is going to set one apart from the others?

attitude :up:

oh, and talking about vega's? mine was a 73', ugly green sleeper with a torqued up 283 that kept spitting out the 10 bolt chevy rear end. finally got smart and went to a Z28 with a 12 bolt............