Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Isn't It Grand, The Demand!

Can you believe the demand! Every site, publication, operator website, everyone is looking for experienced hands.

Does this mean that the industry will change? Will the accomodations be looked into by operators and questions asked about communication or quality assurance of things like fuel, or food?

I think one of the things that some operators hurt themselves with is not including the cost of crew changing into their contracts. Its like fuel. You know you need it, the customer is paying for it, why would you not incorporate it in your contract?

Last time I was in a camp with a rep from Major, it was stated that the drill crew flights and accomodations were looked after by the claim holder, or mineral/exploration company.

Maybe 3 weeks on and off wouldn't cost a dime if everyone kicked it to the client. None of this is going to last forever, but while the energy race is going strong and money flows, why should an operator cover people costs? They already have a ton to worry about with parts, training, insurance etc.

Anyway, what I wanted to shake was the idea that operators who tell crews they are taking most of the summer off because they want 10 days off at the start of September. That is not reasonable.

At Canadian no one wanted to jump ship because there was no room left in the water. Looks like a high pressure system rollllling in.

Anyway, I like the possibility of the industry leaders thinking of how they can attract or keep their crews happy, I like where I'm at, and I really like the posting that Abitibi set up in employment, it's a nice new look. Maybe I won't be divorced one day after all.

****, I could even get a dog.

Can you believe the demand! Every site, publication, operator website, everyone is looking for experienced hands.

Does this mean that the industry will change? Will the accomodations be looked into by operators and questions asked about communication or quality assurance of things like fuel, or food?

I think one of the things that some operators hurt themselves with is not including the cost of crew changing into their contracts. Its like fuel. You know you need it, the customer is paying for it, why would you not incorporate it in your contract?

Last time I was in a camp with a rep from Major, it was stated that the drill crew flights and accomodations were looked after by the claim holder, or mineral/exploration company.

Maybe 3 weeks on and off wouldn't cost a dime if everyone kicked it to the client. None of this is going to last forever, but while the energy race is going strong and money flows, why should an operator cover people costs? They already have a ton to worry about with parts, training, insurance etc.

Anyway, what I wanted to shake was the idea that operators who tell crews they are taking most of the summer off because they want 10 days off at the start of September. That is not reasonable.

At Canadian no one wanted to jump ship because there was no room left in the water. Looks like a high pressure system rollllling in.

Anyway, I like the possibility of the industry leaders thinking of how they can attract or keep their crews happy, I like where I'm at, and I really like the posting that Abitibi set up in employment, it's a nice new look. Maybe I won't be divorced one day after all.

****, I could even get a dog.

hey lineworker dont know who are but have you ever been in one of those god forsaken Matrix camps I would never wish that on anybody again

On and off, they are always different, worked with a guy from matrix, named Andrew, awesome guy, wicked, the best, always singing crazy hard rock tunes in french, he was the camp manager

That was a good story. there aren't any more. tents with holes and tears, so when the snow and wind aren't coming through, the flies plug the leaks.... no comms....

Owners are real sweethearts as I understand it. The worst one lives in YK.

I concur with old bull, unfortunately though there's quite a few companies that will use a company like matrix as one stop shopping when it comes to something like exploration in the arctic, rather than approach the individual companies needed to run a camp operation.......

my experience with them comes from being a former nunasi helicopters employee, and having M.K. from YK representing both nunasi and matrix pull one of nunasi's machines off a job so matrix can put a third party machine on the same job but chartered through matrix, so matrix can bill the client "arctic tariff rates", while only paying the operator from BC southern rates......

matrix, and companies like them will play one operator off another to drive tariff rates down with promises of lots of flying hours, but still bill the people needed to make use of the machines huge amounts "since you're now flying north of sixty"......

but back to the original topic, yes, the demand for pilots and engineers is great.... about time too.....

Matrix are lying asshles from my experiance with them..not only once but twice in a matter of 2 months and on 2 different jobs....would never ever work for them again in anyway!..

Andrew is a awesome guy though!

Have to agree with you old bull. Why would any exploration company pay somebody like Matrix 10 % right off the top to be the most ineffective expeditor ive ever seen. Personally I will never work for a co. that has any association with that outfit. Since this thread is about how robust this industry is right now for pilots and engineers this is all relative as its the the Matrix's of the world that bring down tariffs and definetly endanger the enviroment that we all work in.

Yup demand is way up! It is grand!

As for Matrix, never had a problem back when they started up. As for lying Asshools, the industry is full of manipulators and crooked shiit. Wake up!! If you are fortunate, and it took me a great deal of time to find an operator that didn't subsrcibe to this type of maneuvering, it is possible to work in peace and harmony :up: , but it sure as **** ain't an easy fix.

Apply at Canadian at least they "also carry the true values of life" I guess that means that no matter what BS transpires your job and your childrens future is safe" :rolleyes:

Or maybe not.

Frankly, its all a bunch of hoohaaa, but it never ceases to amaze the mount of BS people will eat up!

Can't comment on Matrix.

Cheers

John

yup Canadian EMPLOYER OF CHOICE!

S'funny,

Hear people say things like 'everyone has their price', but a lot of people at Canadian stick it out for so little, it's amazing. Now with 150 an hour and good tours, are there really people out there working for 3 g a month? 50 an hour? Yes, there are. But they have their benefits...

I always thought that a good company would consist of the owner/operator, pilots and engineers, with one or perhaps 2 people in administration.

Obviously when you get bigger, that is no longer the situation. And looking at the Big companies out there, no one looks better or pays better than Great Slave, in my opinion they are the best of all large outfits from what I've heard and seen, and from the employees.

I prefer small companies where you make one phone call and get the answer you want or the answer you don't want. Or usually something in between, but you don't have to wait for 4 phone calls to be made up the line, and for the answer to filter back down to you in the form of a disclaimer of liability that you can't understand.

S'funny,

Hear people say things like 'everyone has their price', but a lot of people at Canadian stick it out for so little, it's amazing. Now with 150 an hour and good tours, are there really people out there working for 3 g a month? 50 an hour? Yes, there are. But they have their benefits...

I always thought that a good company would consist of the owner/operator, pilots and engineers, with one or perhaps 2 people in administration.

Obviously when you get bigger, that is no longer the situation. And looking at the Big companies out there, no one looks better or pays better than Great Slave, in my opinion they are the best of all large outfits from what I've heard and seen, and from the employees.

I prefer small companies where you make one phone call and get the answer you want or the answer you don't want. Or usually something in between, but you don't have to wait for 4 phone calls to be made up the line, and for the answer to filter back down to you in the form of a disclaimer of liability that you can't understand.

Its great when management has your back until it comes down to the all mighty $

S'funny,

Hear people say things like 'everyone has their price', but a lot of people at Canadian stick it out for so little, it's amazing. Now with 150 an hour and good tours,

are there really people out there working for 3 g a month? 50 an hour? Yes, there are. But they have their benefits...

Geez, when I left Canadian 13 years ago, I was getting 3500/month, 45/hr on lites and 65/hr on meds, I would have thought they would be paying twice that by now!

Give your head a shake guys, and get with the program and start making some real money!

GWK