Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Kudos To Don Mctighe

For those of you who haven't heard, Don flew a couple CF SAR techs to a fixed wing crash site last weekend just before dark, that resulted in the rescue of a 3 year old girl who was the only survivor of the crash. She was hanging upside down in the wreckage for 5 hours and would not have survived a night out.

Congrats Don, job well done.

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

The story was outlined in the Province newspaper. It gave a tragic story a better than expected ending.

Don assisted in "that miracle" of the 3 year old surviving....... without his experience, guidance and good judgement.....the out come would have been a lot worse.

Thanks for a job well done Don......you are surely a class act representative of what helicopter flight crews can do when called upon. :up:

Oh man, what awesome stories to wake up to! All in a day's work, perhaps. You may not feel like heros, but you ARE great beacons of hope and guardian angels in the face of tragedy. So wonderful to read such news; just gives me goose bumps! Be sure to buy Don and Mike and crews a beer when next you see 'em! Well done everyone!

http://www.canada.com/theprovince/news/sto...9d-9942697e4557

Guest graunch1

Good job Don, I know the Wx was going sour real fast as it got dark. It's great to know that you were able to get in and out of the crash scene.

I knew the pilot, Al Williams who was a well-know member of the Alberta Aviation scene and his company built many of the northern airport terminals - Norman Wells was one. He had lots of hours for a business pilotand had taken his Piper Malibu on a circumnavigationof South America about 10 years ago so you would think had the necessary IFR skills.

I guess the investigation will point out what went wrong but this sounds very similar to the crash a few years back of a pilot from Sringbank inthe same area.