Fh1100

Mark_

I don't know much about them. I understand that it was Hiller's entry to the LOH in the 60's that the 500 won at the time followed of course by the 206.

http://www.fh1100.com/index.html

This is company is refurbishing them in the US and flying them for training for 390/hr...pretty cheap turbine time? They have a Rolls Royce C20B.

Does anyone have any time in one? I have never even seen one.

Mark

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I hope that I remembered how to post a picture.

I have about 500 hours on the 1100, flew like a 206A.

They had a bad reputation at first, spit main rotor blades at inopportune times, but they fixed the problem.

They were popular in Quebec, juring the James Bay project with Okanagan Heli, but what with the rotor blade problem, and the success of the 206, they faded away.

There are a few around the states, but none in Canada that I know of.

post-1857-1193955960_thumb.jpg

was working in US in early 90,s out of Concord Ca. ex vietnam guy had one. Was giving pad rides in it. Let me have a go, flew pretty much like jetbox. Not a bad looking machine though. Just out of interest he also had a hanger full of the old Hiller Piston jobs that he was refurbing, can;t remember name of outfit though, but sure I saw them advertising this year somewhere for Flight training in 1100

History Time children;

One of the first FH1100 was Autair Helicopters Ltd in St.Jean, Que in the late sixties. When Jim Masse (RIP) got out of the army he came to work for the company and the FH1100 was his baby. Rotor from the swashplate up was a real pain.

Somebody out west had one or some, because a buddy (Fitzgerald)(RIP) who I did the last Navy tour of the Labrador with, got killed in one when the baggage door opened and the fuel pump went into the rotor system.

GWK: Okie from my knowledge never operated them. Air Alma from Lac St Jean operated them in James Bay. They were getting the same price as a JetB and flying at 80mph.

Those were the days.

Cheers, Don

History Time children;

One of the first FH1100 was Autair Helicopters Ltd in St.Jean, Que in the late sixties. When Jim Masse (RIP) got out of the army he came to work for the company and the FH1100 was his baby. Rotor from the swashplate up was a real pain.

Somebody out west had one or some, because a buddy (Fitzgerald)(RIP) who I did the last Navy tour of the Labrador with, got killed in one when the baggage door opened and the fuel pump went into the rotor system.

GWK: Okie from my knowledge never operated them. Air Alma from Lac St Jean operated them in James Bay. They were getting the same price as a JetB and flying at 80mph.

Those were the days.

Cheers, Don

Hi Don:

There was a 1100 that crashad near Langley, B.C. in the late 60's. I saw it happen. Rotor system separated, not a good result!! I have always thought that the machine belonged to Okie and was flown by "Par" Fletcher. Maybe I have name and company mixed up, could it have been your Buddy Fitzgerald?? I always thought Okie operated them for a very short time out of Vancouver.

Anyway, the 1100 didn't last long. It was labeled "The Widowmaker" very quickly.

Regards

John