Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Anr For Sph-5

Does anyone know of a company in the Vancouver area that can install ANR on a SPH-5 Helmet? Flight Suits in California said it would take at least 2 weeks and I only get two weeks off at a time, so didn't want to risk being called back to work with my helmet still in the shop. Since I live in Seattle, I thought I might be able to drive my helmet up to BC if there was a shop up there that could do the modification.

Thanks for any input!

I know one guy who managed to fit a Bose X system into an SPH-5. He said he'll never do it again ! It's an extremely tight squeeze.

I've converted both my David Clark headset and my SPH-5 with kits from

http://www.anr-headsets.com

You need to be comfortable soldering in tight places. Many avionics shops will do the conversion for you for about $250 plus the cost of the kit (about $200 USD).

ANR kits are battery eaters. I ordered an in-line power supply with my kits. I put it in a little plastic project box and put a Cannon plug on it. I simply plug it into the aux power plug in whatever machine I fly (just be careful with the polarity).

As mentioned in a revious thread, ANR won't save your hearing, but it does greatly reduce pilot fatigue...

I had an avionics shop install the cheap ANR kit mentioned above and I hate it. I've had some really loud squeels come from it especially in the cold. I've since disconnected it and went back to earplugs.

I'm looking at taking the guts out of a DC ANR headset and trying that, or possibly the Sennheiser kit mention by the Dumby above. ;)

I had an avionics shop install the cheap ANR kit mentioned above and I hate it. I've had some really loud squeels come from it especially in the cold. I've since disconnected it and went back to earplugs.

I'm looking at taking the guts out of a DC ANR headset and trying that, or possibly the Sennheiser kit mention by the Dumby above. ;)

I had that problem last spring. Brought it to an avionics shop thinking it was shot. Turns out one of my welds wasn't quite good. Would only get parasitic noise when my helmet was cold in the morning. Cost me 70 bucks (shop time) to have it fixed.

I've tried the Bose X before and I find it cancels out too much noise. You don't hear any unusual sounds like rattles and loose items moving around.

The David Clark ANR is really good, but a little heavy (headset-wise). I know of one guy who bought a brand-new DC ANR headset only to cannibalize it for installation into his helmet. The avionics shop I deal with told me it costs about the same to order all the parts for the DC ANR as it does to order a complete DC headset with ANR. The thing I don't like about the DC and Bose systems is the proprietary connectors. If you have a problem in the bush, very hard parts to get in a hurry...

Been using the kit from anr-headsets.com in my SPH5 for 5 yrs, really like it, installed it myself no probs. Gotta be able to solder good. Built a 'AA' battery pack that fits in the chest pocket of my flight suit, 6 'AA' batts last about 100hrs.

Had no probs to date. Seem to hear weird A/F, engine, tranny noises ok, probably 'cuz comms volume is turned waayyyy down compared to other guyz flyin' same machines. Wear earplugs too: worked too much construction w/out ear pro when younger, kinda paranoid about protecting hearing now...

Hate to fly w/out my anr!