Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Converting To Rotary Ame

6ftsnipe

How common is it for a fixed wing ame (M1/M2) taking a pay cut and having to 'prove' themselves to an employer before working as a rotary ame? I know that all pilots must sweep floors and work ramp before being offered a pilot position, but ame's???

A pay cut for zero experience on type makes sense. How can you be worth the same as a guy with years of experience on type? That being said; if you are referring to having to do beeotch work in the hangar - the company has to put money and time into you and most guys have to sweep a hangar or two in their careers. If you are talking about being abused and taken advantage of - you might want to consider another employer.

I agree with sweeping floors, and proving one's self. I also did most of my apprenticeship on rotary, so I am familiar with the type of machines. When a person knows how to shim a swashplate, balance and track the blades, and change an Allison in a bog, it lends itself to the premise that the skill level is not at an apprentice benchmark.

I also think that with the cost of insurance, and the price tag of components, fuel, and potential of lost revenue, I would want someone new to 'prove' to me that they are the genuine goods.

Thanks for the good advice ame206350.

I agree with sweeping floors, and proving one's self. I also did most of my apprenticeship on rotary, so I am familiar with the type of machines. When a person knows how to shim a swashplate, balance and track the blades, and change an Allison in a bog, it lends itself to the premise that the skill level is not at an apprentice benchmark.

I also think that with the cost of insurance, and the price tag of components, fuel, and potential of lost revenue, I would want someone new to 'prove' to me that they are the genuine goods.

Thanks for the good advice ame206350.

I'd think you should be able to expect to avoid the "low time pilot" ramp type work with your license and just maybe be a step behind on the pay scale until you have 6 months on type and a factory course. I guess unless you can sign out the aircraft you might expect to take a lesser role until you get caught up experience wise but you shouldn't be first up for clean up. In fact a guy could argue that you need as much wrenching time as possible to play catch up.

How common is it for a fixed wing ame (M1/M2) taking a pay cut and having to 'prove' themselves to an employer before working as a rotary ame? I know that all pilots must sweep floors and work ramp before being offered a pilot position, but ame's???

It is a legal requirement that you spend 6 months on type to add that to your license. (OK, used to be, I'm not up to speed on the latest CAR's requirement).

From the tone of your post, it seems you feel this is a waste of your time. Stick with fixed wing then.

It is a legal requirement that you spend 6 months on type to add that to your license. (OK, used to be, I'm not up to speed on the latest CAR's requirement).

From the tone of your post, it seems you feel this is a waste of your time. Stick with fixed wing then.

Well, I really didn't feel it is a waste of time, so much so that I'm off to the rotary side again.

• 1 month later...