Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

119 Crashes On Mountain Top

N1

That's a sound analysis, John.

I'm going to try to avoid reaching conclusions based on assumptions, no matter how reasonable those assumptions may seem. Better to wait for the 'facts' from the NTSB.

We know the most important fact: They all got away relatively unscathed, and that's a good thing!!!

Hmmmm, John Moore, you seem to know a lot of stuff about a lot of stuff.

Most of us older guys have learned that nothing is as ever simple as it seems.

We have also learned that we are much better off to keep our mouths shut until we know the facts.

Hmmmm, John Moore, you seem to know a lot of stuff about a lot of stuff.

Most of us older guys have learned that nothing is as ever simple as it seems.

We have also learned that we are much better off to keep our mouths shut until we know the facts.

Sage advice.

The pilot reports that the helicopter appeared to lose power during the landing. Obviously, something went wrong. Two possibilities are that the helicopter was over loaded for the conditions, or that the helicopter got out of wind or a combination of the two but neither seems likely.

Lots of assuming going on but just wanted to point out a few things.

My post was to give my opinion that perhaps this aircraft had lots of power for the task at hand when it may not have had the power margins people think.

Mr Moore who we love to hate went thru a lot of effort to point out some likelyhoods. But if I read correctly his last paragraph in fact says anything could have happened but probably not pilot error. I don't see what is wrong with his post to be honest.

No one was seriously hurt,no one is finger pointing, so not sure what is wrong with looking at a few scenarios. Is it better to say nothing and wait. My experience with the NTSB in US is they will have their heads firmly lodged up their butts and blame the pilot, and will we ever know what went wrong? Many believe that since thier reports come out faster are thus better, I think our own TSB folks are more trustworthy. But thats my own personal opinion from a really crappy experience.

Is one thing to speculate on a fatal crash which may have pilot error issues and no good would come of speculations and another thing to openly discuss a high altitude hard landing and possible solutions which may prevent further incidents/accidents. I have zero interest or opinion of where or why they were landing but since I work a altitude daily thus am more than a little curious. This is a public forum.

When I went to Peru a little more than a decade ago a pilot giving me a ppc told be that I should really think twice about going as he KNEW of a crash where the pilot had flown into an area"that was like a vacuum and ran into the mountain with airspeed but couldn't get away" . Well what a crock of crap, I met up with the pilot/dispatcher there and the pilot had neglected to use oxygen on the second trip, was not aclimatized and the engineers in back of machine said he simply turned right and flew into mountain......point was use oygen and be acclimatized. I landed a less powered machine almost 2000' higher as per the flight manual and had no issues. I have had hypoxia and it is incidious and will kill you if not careful. Lack of oxygen is not my opinion of what may have happened in the incident with koala but just like to pass on my experiences.

Listen, learn, live. :rolleyes:

Lots of assuming going on but just wanted to point out a few things.

"My post was to give my opinion that perhaps this aircraft had lots of power for the task at hand when it may not have had the power margins people think.

Mr Moore who we love to hate went thru a lot of effort to point out some likelyhoods. But if I read correctly his last paragraph in fact says anything could have happened but probably not pilot error. I don't see what is wrong with his post to be honest."

Mr. Skullie, Mr. Moore, there are six hundred and forty two different scenario's that could of happened, one of my favourites that always happens to me is the bloody helicopter never seems to have enough power when one has miss calculated the wind direction. Remeber power settings in the 360 degree circuit when checking for the wind, screws with my mind every time, have to think.

Both you guys made good postings with research, but I think I'll wait for the official.

Cheers, Don

Man, there must be something wrong with my flight manual.
It's all in how you read it :-))

And I hear the occurrence has been downgraded from an 'accident' to an 'incident'. Aircraft is on its way to a suitable facility in wine country for teardown.