Old Okanagan Rondel Logo

C-FXFX

Guest graunch1
Easy on the Oky knockdown and the colors. I lived as a child in Toba Inlet BC and got my first ride in a 206 there. Whoever was in on that it's ther fault I'm where I am now! :up: Anybody that was in on that gig with Weldood please PM.

Oh by the way those 61's were ugly but the engineer that stopped the black bear from eating my sister who thought it was a dog is greatly appreciated.

Aza Ehlers

What years were you in Toba? At the waterfalls or closer to Pryce Channel?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What years were you in Toba? At the waterfalls or closer to Pryce Channel?

Graunch,

I was there as a 6-7 year old 1979/1980 at the main camp I believe 20 or so KM off Pryce Channel. My Pops was a road builder for Weldwood. The school had just shut down the year before. I lived in a 16 ft Prowler just across from the Rec Building, and 2-300 meters from the Helipads where the 61's were parked. Dad arranged my first ride for a favour or two and I saw Helilogging for the first time. 8 yrs later I fought a large fire there for the first time. 5 years after that I started Helilogging myself for a 8 more on the ground.

Zazu

jacdor

Who? Don Jacques

Where? Kemano, BC. The building of two Hydro dams and a smelter for the Aluminum Company of Canada (ALCAN) in the 50's made Okanagan's reputation at that time.

** I apparently left the impression that Alf Stringer had STARTED Vancouver Island Helicopters and that is incorrect. He assumed ownership and operation of the company when he married Ted Hanson's widow. Stringer was ex-WW2 RCAF and an a/c engineer by profession..

Guest graunch1
Graunch,

I was there as a 6-7 year old 1979/1980 at the main camp I believe 20 or so KM off Pryce Channel. My Pops was a road builder for Weldwood. The school had just shut down the year before. I lived in a 16 ft Prowler just across from the Rec Building, and 2-300 meters from the Helipads where the 61's were parked. Dad arranged my first ride for a favour or two and I saw Helilogging for the first time. 8 yrs later I fought a large fire there for the first time. 5 years after that I started Helilogging myself for a 8 more on the ground.

Zazu

Ah that was a few years after me. I used to run a water taxi out of Lund as a kid up to the Musen etc logging camps in Pryce and Waddington Channels. Great area, lots of good fishing both salmon and steelhead

Got an interesting video from the National Film Board of Canada the other day. From the series "On The Spot" it's called "Vertical Flight". 30 minutes produced in 1955, commentator Fred Davis (later with Front Page Challenge) visits Okanagan's Vancouver and Penticton bases. Lots of B47D and S55 footage, early theory of flight etc. Well worth the $25.00 if your into the history.

jacdor

Who? Don Jacques

Where? Kemano, BC. The building of two Hydro dams and a smelter for the Aluminum Company of Canada (ALCAN) in the 50's made Okanagan's reputation at that time.

** I apparently left the impression that Alf Stringer had STARTED Vancouver Island Helicopters and that is incorrect. He assumed ownership and operation of the company when he married Ted Hanson's widow. Stringer was ex-WW2 RCAF and an a/c engineer by profession..

Allright, interesting, always had in my mind (for no reason) that it was in the late 60's or close to that period

Thanks

Jacques

jacdor -----you're partially correct anyway because it was the mid to late 70's before it became popular and that was only out west at that time. There were some that used it at that time, but by and large they were few in number because many companies didn't have the proper gear to do so and the bubble windows were "an issue" also for awhile.

At Nahanni Helicopters we were doing long-line seismic with Hughes 500's and SK-55T's starting in '75.

We taught ourselves how to do it, which was certainly a bit of an adventure.

The 500's had bubble doors. On the 55 we just slid the window back - it got **** cool some days.

Okie was doing it with the SK-61 well before us. Roy (Seagull) Webster (RIP) was the first, I think, and he trained Dev (Spike) Anderson.