Icing Anyone?

45PSI

Wx is crapy for me as well, Does it count as icing if its just wet snow impacted on the nose of the machine and a bit on the wipers? Has anybody ever accumulated ice at or above 0c? Me and another piliot were debating this topic just the other day. I myself have never accumulated ice above about -4c but have had a bit of snow stick to the nose.

Wx is crapy for me as well, Does it count as icing if its just wet snow impacted on the nose of the machine and a bit on the wipers? Has anybody ever accumulated ice at or above 0c? Me and another piliot were debating this topic just the other day. I myself have never accumulated ice above about -4c but have had a bit of snow stick to the nose.

Not sure why it wouldn't ice up at any temp below 0'. The blades may not ice up too bad due to friction, but any time around fog at those temps is very dangerous. Have seen it build up on bubble at and blades at -34C which is very odd, was not in forcast and vis was 10 miles with just high moisture content. That ice was weird, the machine would ice up just running, very hard to get customer to believe me until walked to machine and showed him that sorry weather too bad/icing when vis and clouds were of no concern. If I remember correctly the 206 blade near the end has a temp increase of around 9' thus below -9 you are going to get ice to the tip. And to go on remember the inboard portion of blade drives rotor in autorotation thus if iced up will become less than aerodynamic rock if engine quits. And have picked up ice is freezing rain when relatively warm. The IFR fellas probably know much more on this.

Here's the ordeal about evedence of icing in temps above zero. I was out there with evedence of icing in the air but never see anything on the ground. Wasn't really seeing anything to be concerned about on the airframe, but started to sence a deterioration in performance and some slight abnormal vibrations along with it. Started to wonder if it was all in my head or not. Shut down, checked things out and no ice. Start the machine again to pick up customers who were already out there. The machine is now smooth again and performance is back. Pick up the customers (short flight...2 min) and on the return flight start to feel vibrations again and on final approach I need quite a bit more power than expected. Shut down, for the day this time, and check the blades again. NO ICE??? The performance of the aircraft certainly indicated ice but there was never any there when checked.

It was 0 degrees where I picked them up and +2 at the bottom where I landed. The only explanation that I can come up with is that the ice was likely melted off by the exhaust during the 2 minute cool down at +2 degree temps which leant to no visible evedence of ice by the time the blades stopped.

was't there actually an artical about icing and aerodynamic heating in vertical(I think) a year or so ago? The thing that stuck with me out of it was the author stated blades will heat up as much as 20 degrees.

It was explained for example that if you are out at -3 OAT and you're getting ice on your window, your blades should be ok.

So if it's -20 OAT your blades will be at 0 , right in prime icing temps.

I understand all the theory's being used, it all makes sense; just 20 degree's seems like a lot to my melon :blink:

I can't remember if there was a particular heli used for this article. It was mentioned above that 206 blades will heat up as much as 9 degrees at the tip. Just wondering if anyone has seen some hard data on this.

Not looking for info so I can go flying in +FZRA. :lol: Just something to add into my data bank...trust me there's lots of room up there :clue:

Here's the ordeal about evedence of icing in temps above zero. I was out there with evedence of icing in the air but never see anything on the ground. Wasn't really seeing anything to be concerned about on the airframe, but started to sence a deterioration in performance and some slight abnormal vibrations along with it. Started to wonder if it was all in my head or not. Shut down, checked things out and no ice. Start the machine again to pick up customers who were already out there. The machine is now smooth again and performance is back. Pick up the customers (short flight...2 min) and on the return flight start to feel vibrations again and on final approach I need quite a bit more power than expected. Shut down, for the day this time, and check the blades again. NO ICE??? The performance of the aircraft certainly indicated ice but there was never any there when checked.

It was 0 degrees where I picked them up and +2 at the bottom where I landed. The only explanation that I can come up with is that the ice was likely melted off by the exhaust during the 2 minute cool down at +2 degree temps which leant to no visible evedence of ice by the time the blades stopped.

How about turbine blade icing?