Jump to content

Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

For All The Contract Ame's, Re: Tools


Recommended Posts

Corporation For income tax purposes, you can transfer personal property to a Canadian corporation for an elected amount.


This amount may be different from the fair market value (FMV) as long as you meet certain conditions. For more informaiton see IT291, Transfer of Property to a Corporation under Subsection 85(1), or IC76-19, Transfer of Property to a Corporation under Section 85.


If the elected amount is greater than the original purchase price, you must report the difference as a capital gain on your income tax and benefit return. For more information, see the Capital Gains guide.



Fair market price or replacement cost can be used or actual cost if you have the receipts.


Unless you fully understand the tax implications of what you are allowed in an incorporating, I would suggest you get an accountant (it's a tax deduction, so basically no cost) who knows all the legal options and does your tax return.


Cheers, Don

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Create New...