Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

500 Abuse

Yeah, pretty rough on the gear, but a live deer back in the 80's in New Zealand was worth $3000nz each, in todays money that would be close to $20-$25000nz! It was a very cut throat, competitive market. A new set of blades would be paid for in half a mornings hunt. It wasnt done all the time, but money talks. These guys are now pretty wealthy and have had successful careers.

don't really understand your point profit vrs. airworthiness

of the a/c we dont practice that here

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

WTF,

Honestly I dont care if it changes opinions of Kiwi pilots, that clip was 25 years ago and times have changed and you wont see anybody doing that on purpose anymore (at least I hope not).

I think Kiwis in general have a fairly good name anyhow from what I have heard. (As Freddie said and many others)

It annoys me that there is another 88 mins of great footage on that DVD and you just happened to pick out that particular piece which makes him look bad, and then come straight onto vertical and post the link. Im sure your not that stupid to think there wouldnt be anything bad said here.

(Maybe after all that talk about foreign pilots so called raiding the country you may be a liitle intimidated by them) :lol:

Not tryin to start anything just my 2 cents.

Nutz

don't really understand your point profit vrs. airworthiness

of the a/c we dont practice that here

What I was getting at, is that the fact that his blades hit was prob a very rare occurance. And the money he made in a week would buy a pretty new 500. Never said it was good airmanship. I recall a 500 being taken down from the net gun in your country buy a guy netting caribou. No trees up there, but then I guess that's ok, as he wasnt a kiwi! And no doupt showing good airmanship the whole time! :wacko:

Guest graunch1

Local very recent Venison Story

Driving the 1A from Cochrane to Calgary last night at 19:15 in heavy traffic at 100Kpm. Very large deer jumped in front of me. No chance to brake, no chance to do much except look out the left window so I didn't cross the centre line and get the H off the road.

final result -- one very dead deer, one very smashed up cream-puff of a van, one very po'd owner of van (me) as i had just spent lots of $$$ on some work on it. One very shook up frau and self- mluckily just minor whip lash

and for those of you on a budget there are 3 deer along the same section of road waiting until monday to be picked up by the road crew. Venison burgers await the first on scene :(

I think some people forget that this vid is 25 years old! things where very much different back then. Let's not forget that the flying 25 years ago is what has evolved into the industry we are in today, a much safer and educated industry. us young guys are taught this is bad because our senior pilots figred it out the hard way for us. Society is like that all over, people didn't where seatbelts in cars 30 years ago nor did motorcyclist where helmets....smoking was not bad and it was cool to have a mullet. It isn't fair to judge that kiwi pilot for doing that 25 years ago....you should thank that kiwi guy for teaching YOU what you know today! :afro:

I think some people forget that this vid is 25 years old! things where very much different back then. Let's not forget that the flying 25 years ago is what has evolved into the industry we are in today, a much safer and educated industry. us young guys are taught this is bad because our senior pilots figred it out the hard way for us. Society is like that all over, people didn't where seatbelts in cars 30 years ago nor did motorcyclist where helmets....smoking was not bad and it was cool to have a mullet. It isn't fair to judge that kiwi pilot for doing that 25 years ago....you should thank that kiwi guy for teaching YOU what you know today! :afro:

Good on ya mate! :punk:

Guest graunch1
Sorry To hear that graunch, only hit a deer once and it really fuuucked up my day! :down: Glad everyone is OKdokey! The island where I live there are more deer than people, the little ******** jump out all the time, installed a deer whistle on my car and it seems to help a little.

Good luck with that !

Cheers

John

Thanks JW luckily the hood came up and stopped it from coming inside.

Island deer? the only thing they could hurt would be some kid on a hot wheels bike. Same size as a small suitcase :)

Guest Bullet Remington

Hum!!! Love that!!! :rolleyes: The money keep rollin into my bank account!!

Based upon the last time I bought parts for these machines (1994)

1) MR blade @ $7,700.00 a piece X 5 = 37,500.00 USD plus frieght and taxes

2) MR Assembly including new strap pack = 70,000.00 p;us frieght and taxes

3) M/Mast assy = 30,000.00 plus freigyt and taxes.

4) Guesstimate another 10,000.00 for assorted juck bent up by the CFIT

Sub Toatl = $147,500.00 Throw in another 15 to 20 K for labour, shop supplies etc, etc and ya have a neat little bill for $167,500.00

Yep, I love that type of flying!! Keeps me working and bringing in the dough!!

God, I miss the good old daze!!! :down:

Note: all prices listed are based upon what my tireed old brain recalls from 13 years ago!! Prices subject to chage without notice!! :lol:

Well said sirlandsalot - How quickly we forget all these issues that you have raised - I remember my babies propped up in the back seat of our car, (and the front sometimes). It makes me cringe now - but back then a lot of safety issues were not even thought of. Same with the heli pilots - as many have said on this thread, they did what they had to do to make a living. My partner was a "catcher "with one of those pilots, and the things he had to do to catch and restrain the deer after jumping from the heli would make you hair curl! I've also flown with a couple of those pilots and would do so again today - most of them were the best.