Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

A-star: Low Eng.oil Pressure & Engine Shutdown

dimit

According to the FM if we get certain indications of a terminal loss of engine oil pressure we're supposed to shut down the engine in flight. Now who's gonna do that?!

What's the worst that could happen if I try to get a bit more powered flight and maybe reach a better spot to auger in?

Thanks in advance,

D'ick

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks, Hazy.

I'd like to be more specific: On A-Star Models B, B/A, B2 (don't know about B3), according to the FM, if EngP light comes on and engine oil pressure gauge is low or zero AND Tq gauge is low, shut down engine. Or if engine oil pressure gauge is in the red (low) and Tq gauge is low AND EngP light is U/S, shut down engine.

In these situations the engine oil pressure's down the toilet. Engine's gonna stop any moment. But maybe I'll be able to auto to that gravel bar if I just get another XX seconds of powered flight... Do I really wanna shut down the engine?

Hazy is right: It's PDM. And I wanna know the downside of running the engine 'til it... What? Explodes? Bursts into a flaming torch, smoking the M/R blades and the tail boom? Or will it 'just' stop at some point, and we gracefully glide to the gravel bar or the forest or the 'skeg and auger in, more or less? Anyone know?

To do effective PDM I need to know the probable outcome of my decision. Maybe I really DO wanna shut down the engine!!?

More feedback, please. And 'Thanks' again!!

D'ick

Thanks, Hazy.

I'd like to be more specific: On A-Star Models B, B/A, B2 (don't know about B3), according to the FM, if EngP light comes on and engine oil pressure gauge is low or zero AND Tq gauge is low, shut down engine. Or if engine oil pressure gauge is in the red (low) and Tq gauge is low AND EngP light is U/S, shut down engine.

In these situations the engine oil pressure's down the toilet. Engine's gonna stop any moment. But maybe I'll be able to auto to that gravel bar if I just get another XX seconds of powered flight... Do I really wanna shut down the engine?

Hazy is right: It's PDM. And I wanna know the downside of running the engine 'til it... What? Explodes? Bursts into a flaming torch, smoking the M/R blades and the tail boom? Or will it 'just' stop at some point, and we gracefully glide to the gravel bar or the forest or the 'skeg and auger in, more or less? Anyone know?

To do effective PDM I need to know the probable outcome of my decision. Maybe I really DO wanna shut down the engine!!? have you not done full on auto's maybe in somebody's else machine and not make a long nite for the eng. More feedback, please. And 'Thanks' again!!

D'ick

Thanks, Hazy.

To do effective PDM I need to know the probable outcome of my decision. Maybe I really DO wanna m shut down the engine!!?you need to seriously think positive and that machine will take you wherever you want it to. your eng. have done an immpectible DI job relax and enjoy your state of mind.

More feedback, please. And 'Thanks' again!!

D'ick

According to the FM if we get certain indications of a terminal loss of engine oil pressure we're supposed to shut down the engine in flight. Now who's gonna do that?!

What's the worst that could happen if I try to get a bit more powered flight and maybe reach a better spot to auger in?

Thanks in advance,

D'ick

You should concentrate on the positives of flying a machine that will never do you wrong with exp. eng. taking care of it and saying no to crazy requests that endanger the machine and its air crew

as350: 3rd time lucky w/ yer post, eh?. Thanks for being persistent!

Fer shur, look on the bright side. However, it's in the FM and seems kinda stupid to me. Does it seem stupid to you? Why shut down the engine? Maybe I'm stupid. Maybe that's what yer tryin' to tell me... Am I talking to myself? Are you all laughing at me? ;)

Cheers!

D'ick

Ever hear of a company running up a 206 with the pump cavitating after insp. Apparently ran about ten minutes before she came to a screeching halt, and the cost for overhaul was around 100k. Somebody got info on this? Thinking the company name starts with a D and summer of '06? H

from a legal standpoint, follow the FM, the court case will be revolving around that...from a survival standpoint decide whats best for you in the sitation and be prepared to defend that choice....

As far as engines grenading...could happen and has....could also be a non event, could also sever a fuel line and ruin your day....the what-ifs are endless....the manufacturer probably has more experience determining the possible outcomes and have printed their manuals accordingly....

the decision now lies with you.....how thick do you think the lines are on the proceedure??? can you safely cross them, or no?