Optimum Time To Train

bleepo

I've figured out WHERE i'm training, and how i'm paying for it.

The next question is WHEN to train.

It'll be in South Western BC. I won't say who I'm training with yet, because they don't know! But in order to do it full time, the wife and I are selling our house, and renting a basement from family. I know that most of the companies out there do their hiring in early spring, but I imagine i'll need some time to knock on doors between getting my license and getting anyone to talk to me!

Would it be best to shoot for an early fall start, so that I'm done around christmas? Is the weather going to cancel more than a few flights, and should I start earlier? When I hit the pavement, will anyone be around to talk in January? Should I shoot for being done in early spring, so i'm fresh when they need new blood? I am a sponge for your wisdom.

Well sounds like you are on your way, my guess is be ready for spring. Wow selling your house to go for it, kind of like heading to vegas and putting it on the table. Good luck to you and your wife.

quote name='bleepo' date='Nov 24 2007, 06:53 AM' post='85376']

I've figured out WHERE i'm training, and how i'm paying for it.

The next question is WHEN to train.

It'll be in South Western BC. I won't say who I'm training with yet, because they don't know! But in order to do it full time, the wife and I are selling our house, and renting a basement from family. I know that most of the companies out there do their hiring in early spring, but I imagine i'll need some time to knock on doors between getting my license and getting anyone to talk to me!

Would it be best to shoot for an early fall start, so that I'm done around christmas? Is the weather going to cancel more than a few flights, and should I start earlier? When I hit the pavement, will anyone be around to talk in January? Should I shoot for being done in early spring, so i'm fresh when they need new blood? I am a sponge for your wisdom.

Are you "NUTS" you must have "The Bug" really bad to sell your house cus you won't be able to buy another for a long time, unless you have a sugar daddy around. Hope you don't have kids that like to eat too much and like new toys. Have you thought about a line of credit, with your house as collataral, this gives you a better interest rate, and more flexable in payments. Plus you can pay it off with out penalitys.. Not to be discouraging but I almost made that same mistake 10 years ago.. Got the licence but no job after. It took a few years to get back on my feet, Flying now though. But it's my own ship.

Helilog

Hey there,

From what I've seen most new hiring happens in late March through to May, but doesn't completely stop through the summer. There's always some hiring/firing/quitting going on...

Mid-winter is a hard time for a road trip lookin' for work. Pretty cold fer sleepin' in the car, lots of motels have their rates up to get the skiing/sledding/drilling $$$, not much in the way of vacancy.

One thought is to hit the road in late Feb/early March, just ahead of demand. Then drive, drive, drive 'til you get a job. Make shur you have enuff $$$ to last for the summer, in case yer job search is a long one!! Then enjoy our beautiful countryside and keep smiling!

Good luck,

DM

ps. Just read Helilog's post. Wisdom of experience there!

I spent every pennie, could barley make the rent with two kids and a wife to finish school. One month after school, I BOUGHT my first house with my tax return because of the school write off's. Go figure, went from rich to poor, became a pilot and bought a house in 5 months, what a ride! One year later I re-mortgaged and got rid of my student line of credit..$1000.0 a month! My mortgage went up $100 bucks..Life's good now! but holy chr*^st was that tough :prop: :D

Jeez - speaking as one whose training was paid for by the Queen, I take my hat off to you guys for your dedication and perseverance. I've had my share of rocky rides, but....

I can only wish you the best of luck, except to say that I would probably get going asap, 'cos you never know what delays there may be. Better be early than late!

Good luck!

Phil

Thanks guys...

I should add that the sale of my house is not to pay for training, but to allow us to live for less so that I can be 100% focused, instead of working my 50 hour a week job in addition to trying to fly in my off time. Believe it or not, it was my wife's idea, and she will work which will more than cover expenses. The money from selling our place is staying put, and probably going into a term deposit while I train, with the idea of us quite possibly relocating to Fort MC.Nowhere, and buying there.

I'm funding my training the old fashion way, a death in the family! Also, no kids, so no toys needed!

Well, depending on "where" you will be training, it won't matter when you start. I know for a fact that one school has been placing well over 90% of their students.

My buddy told me he had one kid in a job before he even finished! It was a "don't fail your flight test tomorrow because you are headed up north on monday" scenerio!

• 1 month later...
I know for a fact that one school has been placing well over 90% of their students.

Really would care to share the info on that :lol:

I'm thinking of doing some addition training in BC or AB later this year.

(was thinking of EZ air got a post out asking for anyone to share the experience of this operator)

Would like to train at a school where I have a fair chance of getting a job afterwards

My current situ is

248hour

118PC

R22 endorsed

R44 endorsed

For additional training i'm thinking

Night rating - already have 10hours night but not endorsed

206 or astar - endorsement

And maybe slingload rating or mountain flying course

Regards

D