Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Galore Creek Project Axed

Guest Angry Egg Driver

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excuse my ignorance, but how did they start (certify) with the Ka-32's? When all of them come from pretty much the same place and, use more or less the same technology, principles and rules. Can’t the same procedure be used again on Mi-26’s?

If there is a market for a machine, and IF that machine fulfills every regulation necessary, why shouldn’t it be certified?

Or do we have to protect “domestic” heavy machines like the Sikorsky or Boeing?

I think Jim was being tongue in cheek there Porter... ;)

VIH proceded pretty much the same way with the Kamov a few years back. The entire North American heavy lift industry was in an uproar. Now that AES is doing it with the HALO, VIH is the first to cry foul... <_<

What goes around comes around I suppose... :rolleyes:

I think Jim was being tongue in cheek there Porter... ;)

VIH proceded pretty much the same way with the Kamov a few years back. The entire North American heavy lift industry was in an uproar. Now that AES is doing it with the HALO, VIH is the first to cry foul... <_<

What goes around comes around I suppose... :rolleyes:

The main difference that VIH went through the full procedure to have the KA32 certified in Canada.

The operators of the MIL 36 are basically doing an end run around the certification procedure. Not a level playing field.

Sorry to disagree there Deuce, but, if memory serves, VIH proceded the very same way. They had the Kamov here for a couple seasons on a special permit to "study the feasability" of going through the certification process...

A few other operators have attempted to get aircraft certified the same way but have not even gotten as far as having a special permit. I think if your organisation can handle the bureaucracy to get the permits then you can make it happen. There is nothing in there about fairness - only who has the clout to make it happen!

Sorry to disagree there Deuce, but, if memory serves, VIH proceded the very same way. They had the Kamov here for a couple seasons on a special permit to "study the feasability" of going through the certification process...

Well, there are some fundamental differences. The original Kamov was here on a permit that only allowed it to work on logging jobs that were basically owned by VIH Logging. They couldn't work for somebody else for recompense. It would be the same thing here if Nova Gold brought over a Mil-26 to work exclusively under their AOC (which they do not have) on a project they have complete control over. So this is comparing apples to bananas.

As for the Kamov certification, it cost VIH millions and required redesigned hydraulics and a bunch of other stuff... and took years before it was all done and they could hang a shingle outside and start taking bookings. The Mil has definitely come in the back door... but oh well... I don't own the outfit and believe that the best man'll win in the end anyway... But... the rules should be the same for everybody (even if you're 2nd Nations people:)...

HV

Maybe its time to bring in some restricted category machines from the States?

Maybe some UH-1 and CH-53? Too bad they sold all the Labradors to Columbia, could have used them as well. :shock:

I, for one, would love to see some Cobras fighting fires in Canada... just 'cause I like 'em...