Galore Creek Project Axed

Guest Angry Egg Driver

I think Jim was being tongue in cheek there Porter... ;)

VIH proceded pretty much the same way with the Kamov a few years back. The entire North American heavy lift industry was in an uproar. Now that AES is doing it with the HALO, VIH is the first to cry foul... <_<

What goes around comes around I suppose... :rolleyes:

VIH took many years to get the Kamov certified, unlike the Mil 26 restricted use category and "fast track" approvals.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No, the Mi-26 is not certified in Canada. That I'm sure will be a long process.

There are parallels that are trying to be drawn between the Mi-26 and others, like the Ka-32. Big difference between the two is that the Ka-32 competes with other certified helicopters, like the S-61 and BV107 as far as lift capability is concerned, which is why it was more difficult for VIH. There is no aircraft in the western world that can compete as far as lift capacity goes with the Mi-26's 44,000lb lift capacity, which is why it was allowed into Canada under a special exemption.

Agreed though, they should play by the rules like everyone else, and work towards certification. This has been a bone of contention for several of the heavylift operators in Canada, as well as in the US. Some operators have tried to get their restricted category aircraft, like the CH-54 into Canada with little luck.

According to Airborne (about two months ago) the process was initiated to obtain Transport Canada certification for the Mi-26. For those of you that have not read the story that appeared in Vertical on the Mi-26 operating in Canada, you can read it online. Visit http://verticalmagonline.com. It was printed in the Oct/Nov issue.

post-45-1196395611_thumb.jpg

... There is no aircraft in the western world that can compete as far as lift capacity goes with the Mi-26's 44,000lb lift capacity...

If I may be so impolite as to point out that the American military "Super Sea Stallion" (I believe the CH53E) approaches the same lift capacity. Close, anyway... but no chance of working in Canada because of the military designation...

HV

If I may be so impolite as to point out that the American military "Super Sea Stallion" (I believe the CH53E) approaches the same lift capacity. Close, anyway... but no chance of working in Canada because of the military designation...

HV

Ok, so whats the difference with BV107's, Chinook's, CH46's, DC-3's, A-26's, Conair firecats.....All ex- military, some have even carried passengers for years and years. Why can they work in Canada? It doesnt make sense to me, but then not much does.......

2 different beasts. The S64 is a FAA/TC approved version of the S54 Tahre. The 54 operates in the US on a restricted category. Despite attempts by several operators to run a 54 in Canada under a similar restricted category, TC only allows 64's up here. And if you are not good buddies with Mr. Erikson, you better have deep, deep pockets.

The 53 is a completely different platform. Won't see them in Canada in your lifetime.

The 53 is a completely different platform. Won't see them in Canada in your lifetime.

I wouldn't hold your breath. If the Mi-26 can make it in, then it is not beyond the bounds of feasibility that ANYTHING could potentially happen in the future.

I wonder when the first Mi-8 or Mi-17 is going to show up?

Actually, the Mil 26 has about 12 different design roles, both military and for civilian use. It is approved for civilian operations in several different countries.

The CH53 on the other hand, is strictly military. The day you see a CH53 in Canada will be the same day you are using a Apache for water-bucketing.