Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Cnd Helicopter Industry

I'm with 350 on this one....Transquebecneice must have a different copy of the HEPAC site to refer to, or is simply putting her spin on how the association will play out. I get none of that vibe when reading the website either.

One thing I hold onto dearly in this industry, is my experience. That will never be given freely to the youngin's moving on up. The only thing I give them is a platform to learn from, it's up to them to become good in their own right and earn that all mighty dollar they will be paid for being more worthy of the next guy.

I'll never tell anyone everything I know, that's my wild card in my pocket to show my employer why he should be paying me $xx.xx more than this guy and that guy. Unfortunately with my attitude, the industry doesn't get anything back from me I guess. But in the flip side, the industry isn't losing anything either.

Well... Just to add my 3 cents, as a Journey man pilot of 1300hr's (for lack of a better expression), I sincerely hope that I don't find myself working along side a pilot or engineer of this mentality, as I think that this sort of mindset is both dangerous and ignorant. How is it that some humans put $xx.xx before the well being of those whom they work with, as well as that of the very industry from which they earn those $xx.xx? The "flip side" of this attitude unfortunately , may be the loss of another young pilot who could have benefited greatly from a little of this fool's "wild card" knowledge that he holds onto so dearly in hopes of earning him a little more $xx.xx. A question to you would be, if a young driver whom you worked with, met an unfortunate end, which could've been avoided by the sharing of your deepest secrets, would you be on here offering your condolences to his family and friends while counting the extra $xx.xx on your bank statement?

Just my thoughts

Cheers

Prime

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well... Just to add my 3 cents, as a Journey man pilot of 1300hr's (for lack of a better expression), I sincerely hope that I don't find myself working along side a pilot or engineer of this mentality, as I think that this sort of mindset is both dangerous and ignorant. How is it that some humans put $xx.xx before the well being of those whom they work with, as well as that of the very industry from which they earn those $xx.xx? The "flip side" of this attitude unfortunately , may be the loss of another young pilot who could have benefited greatly from a little of this fool's "wild card" knowledge that he holds onto so dearly in hopes of earning him a little more $xx.xx. A question to you would be, if a young driver whom you worked with, met an unfortunate end, which could've been avoided by the sharing of your deepest secrets, would you be on here offering your condolences to his family and friends while counting the extra $xx.xx on your bank statement?

Just my thoughts

Cheers

Prime

Prime

this thread is not about $$$$, ive never seen an eng. RS an A/C that he wouldnt fly in. I think the implyed message was everybody has tricks of the trade that arent approved and the A/C is always airworthy no matter what.... now dealing with outside forces ie: owners, clients, expeditators will cause for a brain hemorrage real quick and you question why am i here

Just my thoughts

Cheers

Prime

you make alot of assumptions...all of which are incorrect....

Prime

this thread is not about $$$$, ive never seen an eng. RS an A/C that he wouldnt fly in. I think the implyed message was everybody has tricks of the trade that arent approved and the A/C is always airworthy no matter what.... now dealing with outside forces ie: owners, clients, expeditators will cause for a brain hemorrage real quick and you question why am i here

+10.

Prime,

those tricks of the trade are what set me apart from the cookie cutter crowd. I work hard to position myself ahead of the pack, and therefore should be paid accordingly. I am not going to freely open up my mind with what I've learned and just arbitrarily hand over all the little tibits of special knowledge of the aircraft I have figured out on my own. You can do what I did, and spend almost 20 years in the industry learning as i have, find your own niche and beg your boss to pay you what you feel your knowledge is worth. Nobody dies because of this, because as a person who has graduated an approved course, be it piloting or engineering, you already have the foundation to be safe, does it look like I take that away from them???

Hi Prime,

You should check out the movie, 'The Corporation'. That is a scary show. And then look at the structure of the company you work for. And then consider if Twisted Spar's remarks are unrealistic.

It's a good movie. And it is a gross reality check.

I don't think for a second if Twisted Spar had a remark from a less experienced pilot or engineer that set alarm bells ringing that good experience would not be passed along.

Lineworker and TS have a point. Should those that worked hard to gain the knowledge and experience, let it be passed on so easily to those that haven't worked hard? For all those that say "yes", please step out of the "line" and go to the back of said "line". There was one apprentice in particular this year that worked hard and did good work. I did what I could to help him out. Others, not so much and in return they get nothing, its a merit system. :) H

"line"- To the pay clerk's window or cp's office for an endorsement or whatever you value.

+10.

Prime,

those tricks of the trade are what set me apart from the cookie cutter crowd. I work hard to position myself ahead of the pack, and therefore should be paid accordingly. I am not going to freely open up my mind with what I've learned and just arbitrarily hand over all the little tibits of special knowledge of the aircraft I have figured out on my own. You can do what I did, and spend almost 20 years in the industry learning as i have, find your own niche and beg your boss to pay you what you feel your knowledge is worth. Nobody dies because of this, because as a person who has graduated an approved course, be it piloting or engineering, you already have the foundation to be safe, does it look like I take that away from them???

It is fortunate that not all feel this way.

I have spent many years as a C.P., C.C.P, O.M. flight instructor, etc.etc., so my background and mindset is directed more towards helping, assisting and teaching.

My main gig is C.A.C (logging and fires), and I do some instructing during the winter at Chinook . I wonder how you would feel T.S. if you were hired to be a Crane driver and none of the captains gave out much in the way of assistence to learn a complex and difficult aircraft? The tricks and tips of which you speak, to help you learn the aircraft.......without their guidance, it would be a way more difficult transition, especially in our high production environment where numbers are scutinized.

A lot of us blend our numbers, to take pressure off pilots new to the Crane, so one can concentrate on aircraft handling rather than trying to appease a logging manager.

I have the pleasure to fly with different pilots from around the world, and share information and tips with each other that help make our work safer and easier, and after 30 years and 18,000 hours, I still learn. And that information, I am more than happy to share with others........jeez, it is no threat to my job, helping others.

That is part of the foundation for HEPAC, we would like to build a mentorship program along with a library that members can access to assist them and develope as pilots and engineers.

What can set you apart from the "cookie cutter" crowd of which you speak, is to be a mentor, be one of those pilots or engineers that share their knowledge and experience, and are helpful with others.

****, whats so wrong with just being a nice guy ??? ;):rolleyes: