Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Computer Programs For Your Gps

The last base I was at someone showed me oziexplorer, and I have been using it ever since to manage the points on my GPS for different locations. It has made life alot easier for saving points and keeping the clutter out of the GPS.

I was just wondering if anyone uses mapquest and if they have any particular reason for using it over oziexplorer or vice versa?

Are there any other programs that work even better?

I use Garmin Mapsource plus a Garmin GPS and external antenna in my laptop Computer.

I also have the Garmin Topo Canada discs - all of Canada in exquisite detail.

I use Garmin Enroute for navigating around North American cities using my laptop. ( the car adapter and surge protector for using car power is usefull ) Lock the laptop in the trunk once arriving at Hooters.

Mapsource allows upload to Garmin portable aviation GPSs - great for planning that ferry flight.

Now if Garmin would let us import user waypoints into a 530 using Mapsource I would be a very happy camper.

I also use mapsource topo Canada both for my personal garmin and the aircrafts garmin 296 unit. It works great and is very user friendly software. Makes it very easy to input and transfer waypoints. I do have one problem with this software though. I will attempt to explain; say you have uploaded the topo Canada maps just for Nova Scotia to your GPS unit. Later on you would like to upload the New Brunswick maps as well. Then you will select the maps for NB and upload them to your unit. Now turn on your GPS and you will notice it has just erased your NS maps. You have to upload all desired maps at the same time or your GPS unit will erase whatever maps were on it before. Did anyone follow that? It can get real frustrating to say the least.

Do you have all of Topo Canada loaded on your Computer?

Use that to upload all your waypoints and then upload what you need onto your portable.

I think that should work.

Long time since i have done it but I think you can also download your flight from your portable back onto your laptop and "view your flight'.

All of this may or maynot be true.

One thing is that these programs use memory like crazy - you can delete old flights.

Do any of you guys use the Lowrance 600c aviation GPS? I am looking at getting one but I have a feeling that I might have a conflict if the customer uses a garmin unit and wants to upload waypoints for something like a staking job. I don't think the waypoints are compatible and was wondering if there is a user friendly program that can convert waypoints to be used on different gps units. :unsure:

Do any of you guys use the Lowrance 600c aviation GPS? I am looking at getting one but I have a feeling that I might have a conflict if the customer uses a garmin unit and wants to upload waypoints for something like a staking job. I don't think the waypoints are compatible and was wondering if there is a user friendly program that can convert waypoints to be used on different gps units. :unsure:

I use the 2000c unit, and i just upload the area i need from the Topo cd's the night before, then you can set-up any waypoint you want!

Lowrance have a little program that converts Garmin files to Lowrance format.