Dumb Noob Question About (short!) Pilot Height...

Daz

Hey Daz,

I come from an adventure sports background similar to yours: Lots of skiing around big mountains in whiteouts; dangling a long way off the deck, that sort of thing. That probably helped me in the navigation and situational awareness end of things when I started out flying. But I was pretty risk tolerant...

My first heli-boss, Chopperman, did a fine job setting me straight. He probably doesn't remember, but I'll never forget our little talk, and am forever grateful for his... "firm guidance and wisdom"...! (Thanks TT and Season's Best to you and yours!!)

As adventure sports enthusiasts it's natural to push boundaries; as new pilots we have to work against our natural inclinations and strictly respect regulatory and operational limits. Falling, and bumping into things, is very unforgiving when done in a helicopter!

Check out the thread "Gut Feeling". In recreation I treat an uncomfortable "gut feeling" like a yellow light: Slow down, be careful. In aviation it's more like a red light: Stop what I'm doing!

I know there are other ex-guides/climbers etc driving choppers. Did any of you have a similar experience starting out? How did you stay out of trouble? (Sorry Daz, I'm highjacking yer thread!)

Season's best,

DM

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a hijack at all! It's great to hear from others, especially someone with a similar background as mine.

As adventure sports enthusiasts it's natural to push boundaries

I've certainly seen lots of that (and more so in the last few years). In terms of risk tolerance, as an avalanche tech responsible for the safety of the resort's skiing guests, staff, and my co-workers, my risk tolerance is quite low compared to, say, a recreationalist out to huck cliffs and ski big lines at Roger's Pass. Even when I'm out being a recreationalist, I'm pretty conservative when it comes to risk vs reward. I figure living to ski (or fly) another day is plenty reward enough for avoiding a potentially dangerous situation. I guess I'm getting old :P

I can understand respecting regulatory limits and such - working with explosives demands such diligence (also something where there's not a lot of room for error!):D

However, all that said, I don't expect my avalanche skills to be a direct transfer to aviation - I know there is a lot to learn, and there always will be no matter how long I do it or how many hours I fly. In the avalanche world, I've always felt that no matter how much experience and knowledge I have, there's always something new to learn. Hopefully that attitude serves me well in aviation.

I'd love to hear more thoughts on this!

Cheers,

Darren

Daz,

You're a careful risk manager, fair enough. That's part of my point: Those of us from an adventure sports (and I include avi-control in that!) background have lots of skill and experience managing risk, we're experts at it! We're very accustomed to relying on our skill and judgement to stay alive. AND we're risk tolerant, and have a hard time being objective about that!

You're an avi-tech: Don't tell me you're not risk tolerant!

I bet when you're doing a control route some mornings you ski bumps in whiteout with several kilos of explosives (with the caps inserted) in your pack. That's risk tolerant behaviour, my friend!

You ski-cut slopes. That's risk tolerant! Sure, you carefully pick your line, you have a good beacon, and good backup to dig you out should things get cockeyed. That's good risk management. You rely on your skill and judgement to stay alive. If you weren't risk tolerant you'd be a liftie, or an accountant.

Ever thrown bombs from a hovering chopper? Need I say more?

One of the things I brought to aviation was the confidence to use my risk management skills and judgement effectively. I was an expert at that. No matter how much I accepted and understood that, as a noobie, I didn't have much in the way of skills and judgement, the "expert" way of thinking was ingrained in me.

My enlightenment: At the time it seemed like a careful bit of risk management. After some "firm guidance and wisdom" it was obviously a considerable act of stupidity. And it left me confused: Why hadn't I recognized the stupidity from the start?

The light came on and I began to question my ability to evaluate risk effectively. Subsequently it became clear that I had rational doubts (Should I be doing this?) long before I felt nervous. I realized that because I was risk tolerant, marginal situations didn't make me nervous (PPCs were another matter :) ). I couldn't trust my gut feelings. What I came to trust was my rational ability to question a situation, hence my little safety mantra: If I have to ask the question (should I be here? do I have enough fuel? will there be enough light? etc) the prudent answer is, No!

You are a competent professional now. You will likely bring the habit of trusting your judgement and skills to your new career. You are also risk tolerant. I'm sure that you'll incorporate these qualities into your flying and will be a better pilot for it. In my experience that may not be as easy as it sounds...

End of sermon, thanks for your patience.

Have a great holiday season!!

DM

You're an avi-tech: Don't tell me you're not risk tolerant!

I bet when you're doing a control route some mornings you ski bumps in whiteout with several kilos of explosives (with the caps inserted) in your pack. That's risk tolerant behaviour, my friend!

Touche´! :blush:

I read your post first thing the morning, then had all day to think about it (while I skinned and skiied my way through avalanche terrain, as it happens...)

And you're absolutely right. Within my little bubble of my avalanche protection world, I do manage risk effectively, so therefore I see myself as being "safe". However, as you pointed out, I do ski with primed charges in my pack, I do ski cut slopes (less now than we used to). I don't heli-bomb, as all our start zones are accessible via skins - but if it was required of me, you can bet I'd be in that chopper with a bunch o' bombs.

In objective terms, then my risk tolerance is high, especially compared to the average office job. It's a perspective I didn't really consider until reading your post.

You've helped me see in myself a potentially hazardous attitude - and that is the mentality that "I'm a trained professional, therefore my skills and judgement will always be applicable". After reading your post and giving it lots of thought, it's become clear that - again, as you mentioned - it doesn't work that way.

... I began to question my ability to evaluate risk effectively. Subsequently it became clear that I had rational doubts (Should I be doing this?) long before I felt nervous. I realized that because I was risk tolerant, marginal situations didn't make me nervous (PPCs were another matter ). I couldn't trust my gut feelings. What I came to trust was my rational ability to question a situation, hence my little safety mantra: If I have to ask the question (should I be here? do I have enough fuel? will there be enough light? etc) the prudent answer is, No!

At the risk of sounding like a gushing newb (which I suppose I sort of am :D), this last paragraph was the light bulb for me.

In short - great post! I got a lot out of it. Keep 'em coming...Wow, this is like free school! B) :blur:

Awwwww, shucks.....

Yer askin' questions and lookin' fer answers, from yerself and the world around you. Yer gonna do jest fine, that's fer shur! Look forward to seein' ya out there in the field some day.

Season's best,

DM

ps. Do you work at Sunshine? I used to patrol there (circa 1980) with Jock. Give him regards from D!ck Mitten. Cheers.

Daz,

Merry Christmas man, super impressed you avoided a response a few posts back. (By the way, John, that was horrible, can't believe you wrote that, and I'm offensive a lot)

I know a great pilot worked for years in VFR, got me involved and I wouldn't be here today otherwise (gonna give him a piece of my mind next time I see the SOB...)

You're an inch taller than he, who is now working overseas IFR, was our boss for a while, and did a ton of vertical reference work, seismic, etc.

You'll sort it all out.

• 1 month later...

Thread resurrection.... :afro:

Chinook Helicopters added to my short list, but I don't know how "adjustable" the Bell 47 is..

Thoughts from tall/short/in-between pilots that have flown a 47?

Cheers,

Darren