Advice From a Flight School

5x5

Hi all. Posted this here rather than in Instructors since I think more peple will see it here and want more input.

Many posts here and elsewhere have made comments about flight schools misleading new students and "suckering" them into spending $$$$ with no hope of employment. The inference is that this is unethical or worse, downright dishonest.

I'd like to know what others would suggest a flight school should say to prospective students? Sure jobs are tough right now, but would you suggest we shut down flight schools? This would just eliminate that many more jobs. Without schools promoting flying, there would be an overall decline in public awareness and wouldn't that also negatively affect the aviation industry?

We all fly because we love it. New and aspiring pilots do too. Should we shut them out simply because the job market is tight? I seem to see pilots, both fresh and experienced, still getting jobs and moving on. Training and education for any industry is part of the overall support infrastructure and if we were to reduce it significantly right now wouldn't we be facing a difficulty if the industry picks up?

All comments and suggesions are appreciated. However, reasoned, measured ones are the most valued.

Blue up, white/brown/green down - all is good.

----------------

On 3/25/2003 10:16:19 AM 5x5 wrote:

Many posts here and elsewhere have made comments about flight schools misleading new students and "suckering" them into spending $$$$ with no hope of employment. The inference is that this is unethical or worse, downright dishonest. I''d like to know what others would suggest a flight school should say to prospective students?

----------------

I agree that it is unethical (though strictly speaking, probably not dishonest) for schools to induce people to sign up for flight training on the basis that there will be plenty of jobs available. It''s simply not true. The "anticipated future pilot shortage" is an old wives'' tale that has been a part of Canadian aviation since at least the 1960''s, and probably before.

So, what should flight schools say? Well, there are many, many ways to sell flying without talking about non-existent pilot career opportunities. How about: "flying is fun" (none of us would dispute this!). Or "learning how to fly will build your self-confidence and enhance your decision-making abilities" (doesn''t it?).

For more ideas, see further:

Why Become a Pilot? [http://ssmu.mcgill.ca/flying/why.html]

What''s in it for me? [http://www.beapilot.com/forme.html]

Hope this helps.