Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Gut Feelings

T tail

Think the best advice I ever got was "listen to your gut feeling" the second best advice I ever got was "If you really want a job you'll eventually get one"....there was something to about bar girls??

Anyway long story short after an incident with everyone telling me it was an indicator NF/NR problem and knowing deep down it was mechanical(turned out to be the FCU) if you have that gut gnawing feeling there is something wrong with the machine and alot of people are telling you there isn't, just back yourself a little, you could more then likely be right

Have a Merry Xmas and a drunken New Year

TT

That's a good one, T-tail.

I come from an adventure sports background, so I'm pretty risk tolerant. Knowing that, my measure of acceptable risk is, "If I have to ask myself the question (should I go? do I have enuf fuel? do I have enuf power? etc) then I already know the answer: NO!"

Season's best!

DM

Our business is one of risk management and most of us are pretty good at it. That said we all fall prey to the notion of perceived reduction of risk. The more often you do something risky and get away with it, pushing weather, overloading, flying with maintenance deficiencies, operating in the curve (when you don't have to), etc., you begin to feel the risk for that activity is reduced. The actual risk of course remains the same - it never changes, just our perception of it.

So over time we can get complacent about accepting risk. Gut sense is a good thing, but you have to keep it sharp and use it. Always keep risk in it's proper perspective!

nice pic coastdog, like the 47

Swissmatt, that is in fact myself, Campbell River Spit, circa 1962.

The cowboy hat and sixguns slung on my hips might have suggested different career aspirations. I discovered later that flying airplanes and helicopters paid more and did not require proficiency on a shovel .... :lol:

Had a similar situation years back. Got put on a machine and as I started to fly it noticed that the TOT was about 100-150 degs lower than what my experience suggested it should be. Mentioned it to maintenance and they checked it out, but said it was fine. I kept flying it and periodically mentioned that it was off. Sure it was in the green, but if I am 100degrees low, than every time I start the a/c I am overtemping the a/c. Well, 200 hours after I got off the a/c some other pilot had an engine failure.(in hover no injuries) From what I heard the guage was out about 170degs when they tested it. Still shake my head that I didn't refuse to fly it until they did a Barfield. I could have saved an engine and some other pilot from experiencing the stress of an engine failure. So many things in flying seems like a thin line. Pushing weather, trying to work the machine to the limits and being economical and serving the customers. It is hard to keep the gut feelings sharp, but I agree it is vital to reducing the risks we face everyday.

cheers

Had a similar situation years back. Got put on a machine and as I started to fly it noticed that the TOT was about 100-150 degs lower than what my experience suggested it should be. Mentioned it to maintenance and they checked it out, but said it was fine. I kept flying it and periodically mentioned that it was off. Sure it was in the green, but if I am 100degrees low, than every time I start the a/c I am overtemping the a/c. Well, 200 hours after I got off the a/c some other pilot had an engine failure.(in hover no injuries) From what I heard the guage was out about 170degs when they tested it. Still shake my head that I didn't refuse to fly it until they did a Barfield. I could have saved an engine and some other pilot from experiencing the stress of an engine failure. So many things in flying seems like a thin line. Pushing weather, trying to work the machine to the limits and being economical and serving the customers. It is hard to keep the gut feelings sharp, but I agree it is vital to reducing the risks we face everyday.

cheers

Excellent post koalaa119:

As I have said so many times before-- The A/C will ALWAYS talk to you. It's up to you to listen.