Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Ame Training

212wrench

Okanagan College/Nothern Lights College in Vernon, B.C has spots available for AME training for the 04 Feb 2008 intake.

For more information check out:

http://www.okanagan.bc.ca/calendar/program...e-engineer.html

Does a person need to go these school in order to become an AME or can they apprentice with say, an AMO right off the street for 4 years and then get a license?

Training.

Except as provided in 566.07, an applicant shall successfully complete basic training applicable to the rating as indicated in Appendix A. As proof of training, the applicant shall provide a certificate of successful completion of an acceptable aircraft maintenance training course. Approved basic training is approved in accordance with Division II. Applicable training may have been obtained by means of distance learning courses or by correspondence courses. In the case of balloons, the applicant must provide a certificate from the applicable balloon manufacturer. Where the applicant is seeking experience credit for the training, the certificate shall be issued pursuant to CAR 403.08 Approved Training Organizations.

Information Note:

Information regarding basic training courses is contained in AN C002 and is also accessible at Transport Canada’s Internet site, @ www.tc.gc.ca.

Does a person need to go these school in order to become an AME or can they apprentice with say, an AMO right off the street for 4 years and then get a license?

Xrkyle, theres no easy road in this industry, you're not fixing autos the regulations are very clear and the qualifications very precise. Theres a reason that schools like NCL and others exist most employers will not look at your resume without this training, there are softer roads to follow such as correspondence or more practical or cheaper Stevenson, the end does not justify the means. cheers

Xrkyle, theres no easy road in this industry, you're not fixing autos the regulations are very clear and the qualifications very precise. Theres a reason that schools like NCL and others exist most employers will not look at your resume without this training, there are softer roads to follow such as correspondence or more practical or cheaper Stevenson, the end does not justify the means. cheers

Good point, AS350. If fixing helicopter was easy....even pilots could do it..... lol....just kidding.

But seriously. If you want to work on helicopters, NLC or Canadore are the only places to consider going to school. Every other school is just not helo-centric enough. The BCIT grads of late, that I've had to train were like people off the street. They had zero clue about helicopters. They may have been full of positive attitude and drive, but learned-skills?,,,,NOPE.

Similarly if I was a float-plane operator looking for an apprentice, NLC wins again. Now if I was a very large jet R&O in Abbostsford, the BCIT grad has everything I'd be looking for. A young, fresh face that never wants to see anything east of Hope, and enjoys rush-hour traffic daily and can't see he is missing out on the 'joys' of swatting mosquitos in Ft. Somewhere-nasty.

If you are a BCIT grad that actually got a licence to fix helicopters, and works somewhere outside the lower-mainland, and doesn't 'pine' for Vancouver, good on Ya. The rest of you, you can object all you like, but you know I speak the truth.

Not looking for the easy way ;) - just curious. The guy I work for never went to school, he just started his apprenticeship and how many years later, was licensed. He's offered to take me on as an apprentice a couple times and I wasn't sure if I'd have to go to school.

We have a 1st year apprentice from SAIT and the boss has been really happy with their progress.

Too bad the pilot/engineer thing is on the way out - I'd really like to do both but it makes sense that after flying your bag off all day, the last thing you should be doing is maintenance.

Having taken the correspondence route I wouldn't necessarily call it the softer route however it is much cheaper. I found that it did leave a few holes in areas such as electrical and fuel systems so it is up to you to do so further learning. It also takes some drive to stay on course. That said, I found it better for me because already had the job, as well as a house and kids that I was not prepared to leave for 18 months. Also, most of what I really needed to know I learned on the job and previous experienses filled in some of the holes I was talking about. I think that the old saying "different strokes for different folks" comes into play. Hope this helps