Formerly called MBB if memory serves. Didn't they do the BK117 too ? The EC135 and EC145 have 4-bladed counter-clockwise turning rotors (unlike the French designed and built EC120, AS350, EC130, Dauphin and Puma/Super Puma).

They also built the BO 105 the little twin engine utility helicopter. The full name was Messerschmidt BoelkowBlohm (poor spelling not my fault).

Rigid rotor and was able to do aerobatics.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dang close Gary Messerschmitt-Bolkow-Blohm.

BTW Aerospatiale (now ECF) made one helicopter with a counter-clockwise rotor system

It was the Super Frelon.

The reason they went with CCW was the rotor head was built by Sikorsky ( S61)

Formerly called MBB if memory serves. Didn't they do the BK117 too ? The EC135 and EC145 have 4-bladed counter-clockwise turning rotors (unlike the French designed and built EC120, AS350, EC130, Dauphin and Puma/Super Puma).

I don't know about you guys but I still struggle to tell the difference between a BK117 and an EC145. It's probably something easy like differentiating between a 204 and 205 (OMG :shock: There's only one window on the sliding door of a 204!) but I haven't caught on yet. I seem to think I'm perceptive too. :unsure:

I guess I'll just go find some pictures to compair side by side....

Nice 135 by the way VIH, I'm glad someone jumped at the opportunity to have the first commercially certified one in Canada, I would've guessed P.S. of a certain company based out of Fort McMurray would have bought the first one.

The EC 145 is nothing else but a BK117/C2. BK117/C2 is just the "old" designation for it. As you can see on the picture, it is fitted with a conventional tail rotor.

There must be more to it than that. TC still hasn't certified the EC145, whereas STARS has been flying BK117's for years now. I remember someone on the forums explaining something to do with control cables running up along the centerpost of the windscreen or something to that effect...

Anyways, the next five years or so should be interesting what with all the brand new iron on order with most operators... :punk:

post-628-1199852583_thumb.jpgHey Murdoch;

Sorry bout that, mint flavored shoes. :blink:

Yes the 117C2 is identical to 145 but the 117C2 and 145 do not look too much like a 117A, you can see the nose is much rounder and a bit longer fuselage. 145 has twin arriels pumping out muchas power and thus 14-1500 lb higher gross and higher vne. :rolleyes:

Hope that helps.

post-628-1199852609_thumb.jpg

post-628-1199852739_thumb.jpg

EC145 is basically a BK117 with EC135 nose section, landing gear and avionics......The rotor blades are profiled to the EC135 (swept tips). Other then that and the new endplate fins on the horizontal stabilizers, the frame is basically the BK117. BK117C2 is the designation used only in Japan. US military version of this aircraft is the UH72A Lakota (for those that don't know).

post-628-1199852583_thumb.jpgHey Murdoch;

Sorry bout that, mint flavored shoes. :blink:

Yes the 117C2 is identical to 145 but the 117C2 and 145 do not look too much like a 117A, you can see the nose is much rounder and a bit longer fuselage. 145 has twin arriels pumping out muchas power and thus 14-1500 lb higher gross and higher vne. :rolleyes:

Hope that helps.

Eurocopter chose to install the conventional tail rotor mainly for certification reasons. Rumour has it though that we might see an EC 145 with the Fenestron in the future.

And…there is certainly many differences between the BK117/A and the BK117/C2 aka EC145 now. The A model was developed 1979 in a joint venture between Messerschmitt-Bölkow-Blohm (MBB) und Kawasaki Heavy Industries (KHI). It had Lycoming LTS 101-605 B1 engines, whereas the EC145 has two Turbomeca Arriel 1E2’s.

The EC145 had it’s maiden flight 1999 and is kinda like a cross-breed between the BK with an extended cabin and the typical cockpit of EC135. No FADEC though!