Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Sound Suppression For Gallet Helmet

Happy NY to all!

Does anyone have any experience with the sound suppression kit from Merit Apparel?

The one they sell has the speakers that you screw onto foam ear plugs, insert in your ear then put your helmet on over. Just wondering if people are using them and liking how they sound/fit/feel etc.

I've tried using earbud headphones under my helmet and found they always get pulled out by the helmet ear seals.

Thanks guys (and gals)

I just installed a set from cep-usa into my Alpha Eagle, but I won't get to try them for a week (on time off). I'll let you know.

I got them because two guys on the base have them and rave about them, and if I'm flying with either one, I find myself always asking "what did he say?"

I have about 40hrs of time in my LH250 w/CEP from merrit. they are fantastic to deal with, I got my helmet in person and he did a full fitting. I'm totally sold on the CEP system, quiter then my BoseX ever was, and much better at cutting the turbine whine.

the plugs take a little while to get used to, but are quite comfortable. it;s nice to be able to pop your bucket off and walk back to the hanger with the plugs in, keeps your ears protected.

in short: big fan.

EDIT: if you're flying in machine without independant volume controls (like the R22) get the inline volume contol cord. my first flight I didn;t use it and my headset was so incredibly loud I had to come home. was in a world of pain. was a IFR training flight and instructor had the volume set for his set. turning it down for me turned his right off. inline volume dial fixed it and all good.

Just back from an eight hour flying day in a Super Puma (noisy aircraft).

Gave those new CEP-USA headphones a try today. The start itself and taxi was unnerving, it was soooo quiet!

I was quite impressed with how quiet things get with my Bose-X, but on a deck 200 miles out in the North Atlantic in a 45 knot wind in winter, I far prefer a helmet on my head when I'm out checking fuel samples! But, my Alpha Eagle (nor my old SPH-5) isn't anywhere near as quiet as my Bose-X. But with those CEP-USA thingys it was almost like sitting in my living room, and all the radio traffic (plus our very low volume sat phone) were cristal clear! I am very impressed.

It did take some getting used to. The first hour I was concerned about how uncomfortable they were (as opposed to not having something jammed in my ear) but towards the end of that first 5 hour flight I almost forgot I had them in. On the second flight I took them off after 2 hours just to compare, and it was quite loud and within 10 minutes I had them back in.

I did get the US Navy mini plugs, which are more expensive but smaller than the standard ones, and having those extra wires catching on things is a pain until you get used to tucking them in the proper places, but I highly recommend them otherwise. The noise supression is impressive, and really reduces fatigue on long flights, and the improved clarity with the radios is worth their price alone.

Anyway, thats my assessement!

• 2 weeks later...
Just back from an eight hour flying day in a Super Puma (noisy aircraft).

Gave those new CEP-USA headphones a try today. The start itself and taxi was unnerving, it was soooo quiet!

I was quite impressed with how quiet things get with my Bose-X, but on a deck 200 miles out in the North Atlantic in a 45 knot wind in winter, I far prefer a helmet on my head when I'm out checking fuel samples! But, my Alpha Eagle (nor my old SPH-5) isn't anywhere near as quiet as my Bose-X. But with those CEP-USA thingys it was almost like sitting in my living room, and all the radio traffic (plus our very low volume sat phone) were cristal clear! I am very impressed.

It did take some getting used to. The first hour I was concerned about how uncomfortable they were (as opposed to not having something jammed in my ear) but towards the end of that first 5 hour flight I almost forgot I had them in. On the second flight I took them off after 2 hours just to compare, and it was quite loud and within 10 minutes I had them back in.

I did get the US Navy mini plugs, which are more expensive but smaller than the standard ones, and having those extra wires catching on things is a pain until you get used to tucking them in the proper places, but I highly recommend them otherwise. The noise supression is impressive, and really reduces fatigue on long flights, and the improved clarity with the radios is worth their price alone.

Anyway, thats my assessement!

Did you install the CEP's yourself in the Alpha Eagle? Did you buy them separately, or did you modify the installation instructions on the CEP site, or are you one of those who can just look at avionics and get it done right without making a scar on your bucket the first time?

Also, did you try the regular and slim fit, what is the mini like for noise suppression? I would think that if you have small ears, normal would be uncomfortable, was thinking about buying the slim fit and the mini's, see which ones feel most comfortable.

Did you install the CEP's yourself in the Alpha Eagle? Did you buy them separately, or did you modify the installation instructions on the CEP site, or are you one of those who can just look at avionics and get it done right without making a scar on your bucket the first time?

Also, did you try the regular and slim fit, what is the mini like for noise suppression? I would think that if you have small ears, normal would be uncomfortable, was thinking about buying the slim fit and the mini's, see which ones feel most comfortable.

I did it myself. It's relatively easy. I have an SPH5 (and a 4 too for that matter) and I think it would be the same to install it in just about any helmet, as the position of the hole you drill isn't overly critical (but I drilled a pilot hole first, and gradually went to bigger bits, and took my time, plus tapped around the hole, to prevent possible cracks...and put something on the other side so when your bit does punch through you don't severe any wires, and I used a dremel tool to clean up the hole), and the way the wires plug into the earpiece is universal, so the instructions for one helmet should work for them all. The instructions tell you which tools you need. I think the Alpha was harder than it would've been on my Gentex as there's a velvety cloth glued to the inside of Alphas and I had a hard time removing it around the hole so the insert's nut could grab some threads, but other than that it took all of 20 minutes. As far as changing your mind but still having a hole in your helmet, the supplied grommet looks like it belongs so even if you elect to not use the system, leave the grommet there and no-one will be the wiser.

I didn't try the regular, but went with the mini and I'm glad I did. The salesperson told me they are far more comfortable. The kit includes a pair of regular and a pair of slim fit plugs that screw onto the mini-speakers (they claim they last a few months) so you can experiment and see which you prefer before ordering a package of your favourites. I prefer the slim myself. One of the guys here had custom shaped ear plugs made up for them but I don't think I'll bother, the stock ones work great.

I did it myself. It's relatively easy. I have an SPH5 (and a 4 too for that matter) and I think it would be the same to install it in just about any helmet, as the position of the hole you drill isn't overly critical (but I drilled a pilot hole first, and gradually went to bigger bits, and took my time, plus tapped around the hole, to prevent possible cracks...and put something on the other side so when your bit does punch through you don't severe any wires, and I used a dremel tool to clean up the hole), and the way the wires plug into the earpiece is universal, so the instructions for one helmet should work for them all. The instructions tell you which tools you need. I think the Alpha was harder than it would've been on my Gentex as there's a velvety cloth glued to the inside of Alphas and I had a hard time removing it around the hole so the insert's nut could grab some threads, but other than that it took all of 20 minutes. As far as changing your mind but still having a hole in your helmet, the supplied grommet looks like it belongs so even if you elect to not use the system, leave the grommet there and no-one will be the wiser.

I didn't try the regular, but went with the mini and I'm glad I did. The salesperson told me they are far more comfortable. The kit includes a pair of regular and a pair of slim fit plugs that screw onto the mini-speakers (they claim they last a few months) so you can experiment and see which you prefer before ordering a package of your favourites. I prefer the slim myself. One of the guys here had custom shaped ear plugs made up for them but I don't think I'll bother, the stock ones work great.

Thanks Blade, did the guy say how much money and where he had the custom earplugs made?