Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

When / How Did Cougar Start ?

TREE

If memory proves correct, they started with a Hughes 300 and then a few JetRangers. At one they time had a Bell 206 shuttle service between the Halifax Harbour and the International Airport. Much of the early work involved VFR activities including aerial forestry spraying and other work like monitoring the seal hunt. Jim has kept the 206 fleet going and has a company in YHZ called "Vision Air Services" still doing a lot of spraying for Irving and others.

In and around 1990 they operated the Air Ambulance S76 in Halifax and also in Ottawa. I believe they also had the Fisheries contract in Yarmouth, later to have an offshore contract in Koh Samui, Thailand. I believe the S61 "YCH" was in their hangar when I had an interview with them in 1991 but I cannot be sure when they started working offshore there. Maybe their website or VIH's could fill in the blanks.

RH

In and around 1990 they operated the Air Ambulance S76 in Halifax and also in Ottawa. I believe they also had the Fisheries contract in Yarmouth, later to have an offshore contract in Koh Samui, Thailand. I believe the S61 "YCH" was in their hangar when I had an interview with them in 1991 but I cannot be sure when they started working offshore there. Maybe their website or VIH's could fill in the blanks.

RH

I've been comming to samui for over 10 years chc must of taken over there contract here in the late 90's. there was and old cougar hanger here at one time. there still is a chc s76 based here.

I've been comming to samui for over 10 years chc must of taken over there contract here in the late 90's. there was and old cougar hanger here at one time. there still is a chc s76 based here.

There hasn't been a CHC aircraft based in Koh Samui for almost two years now. I wish there was but that machine was moved down here to Songkhla. The pilot who was there as Base Manager is now across the hall from me. Bangkok Airways operates VTSM so the logistics of working there is difficult as they were Cougar's partner last time and may be again soon.

RH

There hasn't been a CHC aircraft based in Koh Samui for almost two years now. I wish there was but that machine was moved down here to Songkhla. The pilot who was there as Base Manager is now across the hall from me. Bangkok Airways operates VTSM so the logistics of working there is difficult as they were Cougar's partner last time and may be again soon.

RH

Ya bkk airways has a litle monopoly here. that airport must pull in the cash with the high departure taxes and now anyone flying in has to use there over priced taxi service as well. i'm shure they must of ripped chc off as well . I was at the base in songkhla i guess a year or too ago looks like a great place to work great company too looks like the guys where looked after pretty well down there.