Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Hearing Protection

Thanks for the heads up about the CEP's, I read up on them and they protect you from 30 decibals at 1000hz, and 36 at 4000hz, added to your helmet's protection of 24 at 1000hz to 43 at 4000hz, and you've got yourself some hearing at retirement.

Looks like a solution if the plugs aren't too uncomfortable.

Oh, and if it hadn't been brought up before, I am skeptical of anything said by a Leaf fan.

Hi,

Been using ANR kit from Headsets Inc for 6/7 yrs in my Gentex SPH5. Really like it! I set the comms volumes much lower than my colleagues because the comms come through so clearly, so my ears are also spared high comm volumes.

I can hear pax in the rear of JetBox/Astar undoing their seatbelts on short final, so I can probably hear important noises signaling mech. probs.

I've had one of the speakers fail outside of warranty, bought a new one fer about $38US. Can't remember what the kit cost; installed it myself.

Found the 9V transistor radio-type battery was good for only 20-25hrs. Built a batt. pack using 6 AA batts, it lasts for over 100 hrs. and fits comfortably in the chest pocket of my flight suit.

Worked construction in the 70s/80s, before hearing loss was acknowledged. Had indications of minor deficiency since then, so pretty careful now. I actually wear earplugs inside my helmet, with ANR! Still have the comms set way low.

Cheers,

D!ck

Big +1 for CEPs too. I've got the kit in the Gentex helmet at work, and can't fly without em anymore. They not only kill off so much of the noise, the sound from the ICS is far easier to hear (more bass, not sure if anyone else has noticed how bad headsets and helmets are at being understandable). I also use a set in my headset, which works great, although the speakers of the AvComm set I've got are a bit close to the ears and push the CEPs in a bit. Gonna have to try the navy version... but I still won't fly without em anymore.

My buddy uses them with his Gallett helmet, said its the best thing he's ever put on his head.

Mike

Big +1 for CEPs too. I've got the kit in the Gentex helmet at work, and can't fly without em anymore. They not only kill off so much of the noise, the sound from the ICS is far easier to hear (more bass, not sure if anyone else has noticed how bad headsets and helmets are at being understandable). I also use a set in my headset, which works great, although the speakers of the AvComm set I've got are a bit close to the ears and push the CEPs in a bit. Gonna have to try the navy version... but I still won't fly without em anymore.

My buddy uses them with his Gallett helmet, said its the best thing he's ever put on his head.

Mike

Hey man, that's awesome, I looked up the Gentex on Flight Suits website, and they install for 35 bucks, of course that can be done by oneself, but if I was to buy a Gentex I'd splurge. I am going to buy a helmet soon. I looked at the Gallet, what do you think is the superior product?

Have looked at Gallet, Gentex, and Alpha Eagle, the only one I ever tried on was an Eagle, pretty nice.

Can someone who has tried on a couple of different helmet styles comment?

Also, Mike on the website selling the Gallet helmet, there was no direction as to installing the CEP's, and the CEP site only describes the install on the HGU 56 and SPH, though probably the same?

I'd hate, actually, I would just not do it, to drill a hole in a helmet without knowing what I was doing.

Thanks guys for sharing the info about the CEPs. I've been wondering if anyone out there actually made a set of plugs which connected directly to the ICS, and I'm relieved to see it has been done with positive reviews to boot! I'll plan to place an order in the future.

I've been concerned about hearing protection since my start in this industry (which wasn't so long ago) and I'm glad to see others taking action to protect their hearing. I'm still a young guy but I have tinnitus (a history of ear problems as a young child followed by exposure to loud concerts, drag races, etc.) but I only notice it when things get really quiet. I intend to continue doing my best to prevent further damage.

I was fitted for a pair of Custom Protect Ear DB Blockers (vented) and they took a bit of getting used to but made long flights much more comfortable. However I find the problem with them is that they fit too snug and deep - for me this makes it difficult to hear things unless I am keeping still. For example, if I am turning my head and my neck is rubbing on my jacket collar, it is loud distracting noise and if the person I am talking to is across the room and not speaking up, it is difficult to hear them. Also if I'm walking, the vibrations from my footsteps seem very loud so if someone calls me, I won't hear them unless they shout. I've been trying different options and just regular 3M foam plugs seem to be the best option for now (until I get a helmet and some CEPs). I find that they provide almost the same amount of protection as the DB Blockers but are also more comfortable to wear over long periods. I have also noticed that I can hear the radio communication better with them than the DB Blockers. It's frustrating trying to find the right volume balance while flying with a stubborn old pilot who wears a helmet with no volume control and has never used ear plugs.

Cheers.

Hey man, that's awesome, I looked up the Gentex on Flight Suits website, and they install for 35 bucks, of course that can be done by oneself, but if I was to buy a Gentex I'd splurge. I am going to buy a helmet soon. I looked at the Gallet, what do you think is the superior product?

Have looked at Gallet, Gentex, and Alpha Eagle, the only one I ever tried on was an Eagle, pretty nice.

Can someone who has tried on a couple of different helmet styles comment?

Also, Mike on the website selling the Gallet helmet, there was no direction as to installing the CEP's, and the CEP site only describes the install on the HGU 56 and SPH, though probably the same?

I'd hate, actually, I would just not do it, to drill a hole in a helmet without knowing what I was doing.

The installation isn't too hard, but it looks nice and pretty when someone does it, and no worries about shorting something out or having a less than perfect soldering job (definately my situation).

As for helmets... I've used a Gentex HGU-56 for a couple of years, and am growing to not like it at all. My head fits between two sizes, so mine is big and very liquid on my head, even with all of the straps tightened down (which in turn gives me headaches). The earphones don't do crap for blocking noise unless you shim them ultra tight, yank all the straps tight (uncomfortable), or get a hush kit ($$$!). Plus, with NVGs, a weight bag on the back is absolutley required or the goggles will end up around your chin in no time. Also, the visors stick when they get dusty, I've seen more shells crack than not, the styrofoam base gets very dirty and nasty in short order, and let one drop of sweat into the microphone and it's toast. Mic booms break, chin strap itches, plug cord chafes on the back of the shell easily... I'm really not impressed.

The Gallett I saw was absolutley fantastic. Haven't flown with it so I can't say much, but the overall design is much more low profile and fits on the head much more securely and comfortably. The visor system is awesome, though I've never tried the NVGs on it. Every problem on the Gentex seems to have been thought out on the Gallett. Far superior product.

These guys have the Galletts and do CEPs too. Talk to Sonny, very knowledgable and helpful guy. My friend got his helmet, custom setup with CEPs installed and all, plus a headset with CEPs for me, in under a week - shipped overseas at that!

http://www.tigerperformance.com/

Super D -- my hearing got better when I started using CEPs after years working around helicopters without em. They work very well. I talked to an audiologist who said they were the best thing for helicopter guys (he deals with a bunch of us), but to also wear a helmet as much as possible... apparently lots of noises can get in through your skull and do damage just like noise in your ear canals. Plus they guard your noggin, and look cool as ****! Another friend had the same problem with deaf comrades and got the in-line volume thing for his helmet... that way if it breaks, the helmet still works. Said it works great unless the other guy has sonic ears and wants it turned down even lower. Then its a fight!

Mike

Thanks guys for sharing the info about the CEPs. I've been wondering if anyone out there actually made a set of plugs which connected directly to the ICS, and I'm relieved to see it has been done with positive reviews to boot! I'll plan to place an order in the future.

I've been concerned about hearing protection since my start in this industry (which wasn't so long ago) and I'm glad to see others taking action to protect their hearing. I'm still a young guy but I have tinnitus (a history of ear problems as a young child followed by exposure to loud concerts, drag races, etc.) but I only notice it when things get really quiet. I intend to continue doing my best to prevent further damage.

I was fitted for a pair of Custom Protect Ear DB Blockers (vented) and they took a bit of getting used to but made long flights much more comfortable. However I find the problem with them is that they fit too snug and deep - for me this makes it difficult to hear things unless I am keeping still. For example, if I am turning my head and my neck is rubbing on my jacket collar, it is loud distracting noise and if the person I am talking to is across the room and not speaking up, it is difficult to hear them. Also if I'm walking, the vibrations from my footsteps seem very loud so if someone calls me, I won't hear them unless they shout. I've been trying different options and just regular 3M foam plugs seem to be the best option for now (until I get a helmet and some CEPs). I find that they provide almost the same amount of protection as the DB Blockers but are also more comfortable to wear over long periods. I have also noticed that I can hear the radio communication better with them than the DB Blockers. It's frustrating trying to find the right volume balance while flying with a stubborn old pilot who wears a helmet with no volume control and has never used ear plugs.

Cheers.

hey super d

i hear ya, lol I have the same problems as you described.

I still use the db blockers non-vented, but if u have problems with your hearing in the cockpit, and are having disagreements about the radios, you could have a volume control on your helmet, and the in-line volume control form Merit apparel.

I am planning to but the CEP's, and will be curious of the quality and comfort. You can also get custom ear plugs for that, but the Customer Service guy said the foam seem to offer more protection. I will try both to see. The money to protect my hearing is not important anymore, as long as I can continue to fly until I retire. lol

All the best to all