Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Amphibian Helicopters!

Hello All! I am new to this forum and would like to ask you about Amphibians :mellow: I know the S-61, one I like, and Mil 14, but why not any new builds? To me the market is still there and new matierials make it competative. What are your thoughts :rolleyes:

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hello All! I am new to this forum and would like to ask you about Amphibians :mellow: I know the S-61, one I like, and Mil 14, but why not any new builds? To me the market is still there and new materials make it competitive. What are your thoughts :rolleyes:

Not wanting to deflate your opinion, but having been associated with industry for quite some time, where do you see the market???

Possibly you good add some insight to your question and it can be debated.

Cheers, Don

I am thinking of adventure or exploration. Anything that takes you away from proper opterations or landing. With warming temps and growing eco-torissum. Yes, I have been thinking of better fishing, able to drop in on lake, open door and cast a line :rolleyes:

If not a boat hull, why not floats? To me this market could be expored more. Why should float plane or seaplanes have all the fun <_<

Sorry MP, but recreational use does not drive the helicopter industry very much. Helicopters on floats are used on a very limited basis in the commercial and military world. Emergency pop-out floats are required on helicopters working over water, but permanently installed floats are used only in situations requiring water landings, which don't happen that often. Having floats on a helicopter increase drag and impose certain restrictions on the flight envelope and make it harder to find suitable off-water landing sites. There's nothing more pathetic than etting to your machine in the morning only to find it listing to one side because one of the floats deflated overnight...:(

The 61 is an amphibian, but making a habit of landing it in the water is asking for trouble. The electronics bay sits below the water line in the lower portion of the nose, and your relying on a very flimsy looking rubber seal to keep water off of all of your solid state electronic bits and pieces. If theres a leak in the seal you could be in for some rather shocking developments. (Sorry, I couldnt resist.)

I imagine most guys would rather save the weight and drag then have the warm fuzzy of knowing they could land on the water if they had to. Now invent a cheaper lighter set of pop out floats, theres the market...

47B3 ------ may I assume that the a/c in your picture was operated by Pacific Western Airlines?

Skidz ----- you're 'dated' boy. There were and are 'shoes' that each manufacturer had available to put on the bottom of their floats. Aerospeciale was famous for theirs and once on you could land on anything without fear of puncture. Been there...done that. You are correct otherwise though and I haven't seen a R/W with floats on for 'a coon's age'. :D

Cap: PWA had a heli division in the mid to late '50s but for financial reasons (either become an big airline or stay bush) they carved it off and it became Pacific Helicopters until Okanagan Helicopters eventually bought them out.

And no I'm not in that picture with the "bwana" hardhat, nor did I take it. Was a snotty nosed airforce brat at that time.