Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Here's The Challenge

I remember years ago, (1987 to be exact) when I was getting my licence in Langley....A fellow there flew around in his Bell 47 with a prosthetic hand, I believe he was a private pilot tho, think he was a plumber or something, and if I recall, he was missing his left hand, and used his left hand(prosthetic) for the cyclic and right hand to control the throttle/collective...which was the center collective normally for duals..... was I on crack or does anyone else remember that guy? flying plumbers kinda rings a bell..............it was a a red and white Bell 47.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

... I have also built a clamp that attaches to the cyclic and rod end that screws into the carbon sleeve, and the two are connected by a quick disconnect pip pin, the authority is concerned about the permanence of the connection in the event of an accident...

In my humble opinion, I think that you are on the right path yourself.

All you maybe should do, is find some already well proven “disconnect pip pin” mechanism, used and approved/certified by someone (some other industry, even military).

You can also ask for help at the NRC or even the CSA.

Good luck…

electro magnets huh? there goes any accuracy of those old feeble stand alone compass'

I think your biggest challenge will be making a universal attachment applicable to many types of aircraft. You have types that require alot of buttons on the cyclic and you'll never really find a mount that will be user friendly with all of them.

You've got a long climb ahead of you. good luck

You are an inspiration and a rockstar, Helimechanic. :punk:

Just a thought, but have you heard of the Open Prosthetic Project? It's a design collaboration effort between users, designers and funders in this area. Perhaps consider posting your very first initial post at their Forum, too? You never know; might just find that person with the same predicament, or at the very least, get people already involved in development thinking along the lines of your needs.

Here's their Web site: http://www.openprosthetics.org/

And their forum: http://openprosthetics.ning.com/

They're based outta Durham, south of the 49th. I'll keep looking for you, too. And welcome to Verticalmag.com's Forums, too! :) Best, TQN

Hey helimechanic;

Spoke with a friend of mind who builds most anything and his idea is to have an attachment which clamps onto cyclic and on it there is a fitting which attaches to your wrist prothesis. In order to attach and detach from it you would have to turn it a quarter turn or so. This would facilitate it goin on and off easily and would be a positive lock when attached. Will pm you his e-mail as he is quite interested in helping you. He's one of those people who can come up with an idea and build it as well.

Don't know if this will help but I just finished watching The Nature of Things on CBC and they're running a special on "Science of the Senses: Touch". The last few minutes talked about a new prosthetic that may help an amputee with the sense of touch. Sorry I didn't catch which school is developing it in the States, but it looks like this might be what you're looking for.

I think they are re-playing the show on Jan 24th at 10PM on CBC Newsworld.

Good luck with your hunt,

Drew

This unique challenge has been meet before.Years ago there was a private investigator who lost both his hands and flew his own helicopter,that was in the States.

Now try finding this guy could present a different problem and then convincing MOT.

Good luck.

This unique challenge has been meet before.Years ago there was a private investigator who lost both his hands and flew his own helicopter,that was in the States.

Now try finding this guy could present a different problem and then convincing MOT.

Good luck.

Keep in mind that there's a world of difference between TC letting you fly privately and commercially with any kind of disability. I remember the story of the Griffon pilot who lost his foot to frostbite in Labrador a few years back. Last I heard he was flying commercially, but it took some time for him to get TC to accept his disability.

As PIC of a commercial aircraft you have the responsibility to take care of your pax before, during and after every flight. I don't think it's inconceivable that TC will eventually accept a pilot with a prosthetic hand, but they will have you jump through a multitude of hoops before it happens. They will do everything they can to discourage you from pursuing this. Every "what if" will need to have a good answer. If you are persistant enough and find the right resources you should eventually succeed. You will need to be very patient though... :mellow: