Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Mountain Training Courses

Norm

I am looking into the idea of doing a mountain course either in February or March. I am wondering if I could “kill two birds with one stone” and do a 206 endorsement at the same time. Also what are some of the best schools to do this course with? Thanks

Hi Norm,

I just finished a mtn course at Chinook Helicopters in Abbotsford. The two gentlemen instructing (KO, Andy Roe) were quite excellent, and the school staff most helpful. You couldn't do better than getting a 206 endorsement from KO! Go prepared to learn!!

Cheers,

D!ck

Hey Norm,

I'm assuming that if you're looking to get a jetbox endorsement and a mountain course you're trying to make yourself more employable. To be completely honest with you, I'd take that $20 000 you're considering spending and spend a small portion of that on a X-Canada tour looking for a flying job. Once you find a job, build some time then find a company that'll give you a mountain course if the one you're already with won't. I really think that a mountain course is wasted on one with 100 hrs. Build at least 500-1000 hrs and by this time flying the machine will become more of a natural thing rather than so mental and mechanical. Avoid spending your mountain course concentrating on flying, get a feel for the helicopter first, then give yourself a chance to concentrate on the mountain course content and give yourself a chance to apply and feel what you need/intend to learn.

Just my humble opinion!!!

I received a mountain course with 100 hours and spent the next two summers in the mountains, was not wasted, trust me. Depends where you think you will work. Do you research on possible job opportunities, if looks like it is positive out west then give it ****, if nothing on horizon be carefull with the pesos. Have given mountain courses to 100 hr pilots and 7000, hour pilots, each got something more out of it. Think the guy at 100 hours learns a few lessons to get to the 7000 hr mark though.

JMHO

If a person has the dough and the time, more training's a good thing, why not, eh? As has been stated above, be sure to leave enuf $$$ for multiple road trippin' and living expenses and whatever while looking for that elusive job!!

Have fun,

D!ck