Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Local Heroes Global One

Dan

By’s, listen to yourselves. <_<

Dwayne didn’t ask for this award, someone else thought he was deserving. Taking a pat on the back and shredding it to bits. Should be ashamed of yourselves.

Put yourself in the circumstances of that day and you probably would have done the same. It's easy to sit back after and say the likes of...

Perhaps he's sheepish because he knows he could have been violated
The Canadian military and the Coast Guard are probable the only RESCUE pilots in the country..for the rest of us, do the math

All of us have or will at some point in our career push our limits. Who are any of us to criticize Dwayne for his actions that day? If he operated within the vis limits of the CAR's and weighed the options carefully, which I suspect he did, then he cannot be criticized. Someone wrote it up as operating in a major snowstorm. That was someone’s interpretation that may differ from anyone else. From what I’ve seen since moving my residence to the mainland, things come to a screeching halt with 5 cm of snow!! :shock: Some consider that a snowstorm!!

As for who should do SAR work, part of the mandate for the RCMP is the protection of the public. That involves SAR work; it is in our provincial contracts.

Congratulations Dwayne. :up: Keep up the good work and play safe. If these posts continue I’ll recommend you for another for having to endure these shots!!

LR

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good post Longranger,and Congrats to Mr Jennings, nice to see someone getting the recognition they deserve.

As for Walter's post. "The military and Coast Guard being the only Rescue Pilots in Canada". I have to disagree...

There is a group of maybe 10 Pilots in our country that specialize in high altitude longline Mtn Rescue. (Class D) Working with an elite group of National Park Wardens who sling into some of the most difficult locations western Canada has to offer. We do this on a regular basis, without fanfare, media attention or any other form of recognition. It's our job.

The Military and Coast Guard have their own areas of expertise, I have in the past worked along side them in Rescue situations and have always been impressed with their ability and Proffessionalism.

The Mtn Rescue Pilots seem to go completely unnoticed for some reason. Another member of this group, a gentleman in Haines Junction by the name of Doug Manconnan (spelling) has been consistantly performing the highest altitude rescues in North America for years.

All of us have to guard ourselves from making heat of the moment decisions that could backfire with tragic results.

End of Rant...

Hey StickJiggler:

Didn't mean to exclude the mountain rescue guys...good point you made.

LR: I think you missed my point: No-one on this board has revealed that he/she has intimate knowledge of the situation that day. One man's snowstorm might be another's "flurries".... as the rescue was successful, one might infer that he made all the right decisions. My purpose was to opine that most of us are ill-equipped for these types of missions; and that risk management demands that we consider the potential pitfalls of our decisions. I don't run to the helicopter when the EMS dispatch phone rings; I don't run on scene calls; and I tell my crewmembers (pilots and medics alike) to do the same. I don't believe in the God/Hero complex; it has killed far more people than it has saved; and is, in my opinion, a bad paradigm.

and ####: I didn't cause the guy to be where he is; I don't cause the drunk to drive or the kid to attempt suicide; I am paid to ensure that I conduct my flights (EMS, life saving or not) IAW with the CARS and common sense. 3 > 1 100% of the time.

WH

Flying in a severe snow storm( typical day helisking) toeing in three times( any given day on fires or Geological job)

:huh: Does that mean we all are going to get a medal?? Just wondering. :rolleyes:

Maybe if you save a life doing it, yes. What's your point?

On-ya Dwayne.

I don’t begrudge Cpl Jennings his medal – someone thought he deserved recognition and that someone may or may not understand the rules and regs that govern us. Cpl. Jennings humbly accepted the medal and good for him. I wasn’t there when he flew the mission. A snowstorm indicates reduced vis, but he got the job done. I know I’ve flown when I should not have, and I’ve survived it. I also know that I would not do it again – regardless of a patient’s condition. But when some of the posters here think they also deserve a medal for their day-to-day activities, when if fact they are jeopardizing themselves, their aircraft and passengers – I see red!

My beef is the attitude of some of the ‘regular’ posters here. To compare driving along the road and stopping to help someone, with intentionally getting into a helicopter and risking a crew of 4 or 5 people in bad weather to help someone is ridiculous!

Like WH, I do this on a day-to-day basis. Every time I hit the start button, someone’s life or limb is at stake. If a person chooses to risk their life, that’s one thing. To risk other people’s lives, without their informed consent is quite another.

I am not ashamed to stand here and express my views on issues that have killed a lot people! I stand on the side of safety. If I didn’t I would be dead a long time ago. This attitude of mine lets me fly everyday to help save lives. If any pilot pushes the weather in an effort to help someone, what have they accomplished if they die in the process? A dead hero, is still dead.

My hope is that all you pilots that are reading this thread, and those other threads where posters are bragging about their respective skills, don’t jump on the cavalier bandwagon. Those of us who are pilots, need to decide on whether a mission can be completed safely or not, within the limits placed upon us by CAR’s and SOP’s. To do otherwise displays a LACK of professionalism, and a cowboy mentality.

Professional pilots don’t say things like “I fly when even the birds stay on the ground” – that’s an actual quote.

I don't normally get on the bandwagon for somebody that might have broke regulations, who cares, he sacrafised probably his own life trying to save somebody elses. I SAY HE DESERVES AT LEAST ONE MEDAL AND ANOTHER ONE FOR PDM, RIGHT OR WRONG, HE MADE IT.

Not everybody can be a hero, but for Godsake congratulate the guy.

For your added information the TC regs are not written in stone, they are there to protect the public from operatots that are making a buck from breaking the minimums.

I worked SAR when I was in the service flying in single engine helicopters over water without floats.

Everything is relevant when flying to save lives and only the person flying the aircraft can make that decision and GOD BLESS HIM.

In the imortal words, that's all I have to say about that.

Personally I hope this is the last post on this subject.

Cpl. Jennings, I don't know you, but I wish you the best Christmas you and your family have ever had. You are a #1 pilot in my book and I hope the people in your area appreciate you.

Cheers, Don McDougall

Why are folks getting their knickers in a such a knot ??

Seems to me Cpl. Jennings used his skills and ability and saved a life that day .. no one else was in his shoes, so how can anyone say he pushed rules or broke regulations? Who are any of us to imply that he used poor judgment? I have no idea who he is but the guy was given credit for doing a good job, just applaud him. Lets face it, being thanked for doing a good job is somewhat rare.. I doubt he is anymore of a cowboy than most pilots. My guess he just saw a job that had to be done so he did it and at the time never thought any thing more of it. I think it's great that someone recognized it as a situation worthy of being awarded, :up: it's a just a shame that some people want to somehow make that sound like a bad thing.

Way to go Cpl. Jennings, Kudos' to you.. a big hearty pat on the back!!!! :up: :up:

As for what's been said about breaking rules and risking the lives of crew members without their consent, or advising them of the situations with which they may be faced, I agree, that is simply being an omnipotent fool. Sadly no matter what the profession there are plenty of them out there.. (fools that is)

Sadly with job's/careers in which there is a fair amount of risk involved there will always be fools, cowboys, and hero wannabe's. Unfortunately, they are the folks who seem to make up a bulk of the statistics out there.

The way I see situations such as this is basically....someone took the time and effort to point out Dwaynes actions...so he was properly rewarded.

Did he break CARS? Who knows?

Did he endanger others? Probably not?

Did he go beyond his experience level, Definitely not!

Did he ask for recognition? Definitely not!

Did he deserve this recognition? Absolutely!

In saying that, there are at least 1,000 others out there who have done similar flights, or worse, who also deserve recognition. The facts are that Dwaynes organization took the time to give him that deserved recognition, so don't attack him for it. He's a quiet professional, just doing his job.

Hopefully, next time one of you use your professional judgement and experience to go out and help someone, there's someone involved with the forethought and knowledge to pick up the phone and advise someone of your deeds.