R22/44's In Comm. Ops.

Being new to the heli industry, but old to the fixed-wing one,(mostly bush with a couple of K hrs. IFR thrown in) I'm looking for some advice/comments on the merits, or demerits of the Roby's in commercial flying.

Training in the B-47 I heard different opinions about these machines and am interested on the operational differences. It looks like I'll be starting on one or both of these in the near future, although there are a couple of offers I'm considering.

Thanks in advance

The R22 is an excellent helicopter for observation work such as traffic-watch, powerline and pipeline patrol, or photography.

They are not suited for mountain flying, sling work etc. Though they have done this sort of work in the past, there is very little safety margin left.

The R44 can handle more difficult work than a 22, but it still should not try to match what a 206 could do, in my opinion.

If you are offered a job flying these machines as a new pilot.....congratulations.

They will exactly match the type of work you should be tasked with as a newbie.

If you are sent to do work that is beyond the capabilities of yourself or a Robbie....watch yourself !!

P.S. Welcome to the rotary world and our crazy forum. I hope you get to love 'em both as much as we do.

pprune has a few lengthy threads on '22s, namely the factory safety course and another you may have to go back bit for, 'blade cracking'

Don't get caught up in all that 18-degree offset mumbo jumbo though... :D

Bush Bunny,

I worked for a company that had R44's and I really liked working on and around the aircraft. We used them for oil field support which included well site maintenance and chart changes. Realistic sling capabilities were limited to one 45 gallon drum. Their biggest draw back was the limited storage capability but I have since seen external cargo pods installed on one. I never worked on the new Raven II but I think if one had external cargo pods installed it would give a heavy Jetbox a run for its money.