Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Gps Which One Is Best?

AH1

I like the 296, and I also like the old Trimbles as well, preferably both..

It's nice to have the download capabilities of the Garmins at times (and the maps of course.)

"Here are the 500 waypoints you will need next week" don't laugh, it can happen.

I think the one thats best is the one that "you" know how to use the best...

If the Wx is turning crap and your client informs you we will be needing UTM today...

Is that a problem...?

What I like to see the most, is GPS standarization within a fleet, and installed high enough

that at least your peripheral vision is looking forward while you're using the GPS.

Don't forget to keep it honest...Customers could have a GPS in thier pack accurately

recording the "time" of every lift off and landing.....but we all know that...don't we? :o

For years I used what whatever was in the A/C because I couldn't justify spending big $$$ on my own personal GPS. But the prices finally started to drop and I recently picked up my own 296....and let me tell you I wish I'd done it sooner.

In terms of best that all depends on what you want to spend. I would definitely recommend the 296 over the 196 because of the color screen and other various features that make it much easier to view and read. You can also buy a memory card and topo Canada disks and load it up with ever flying chart there is.

As far as the 396 & 496 models are concerned you are spending a lot of extra $$$ for features you can't use here in Canada. You get XM satellite radio with both but the live weather update feature through XM is only available in the U.S.

Best prices I found were at VIP Pilot Centre, usually 100$ or more cheaper than GPS Central.

Good Luck

One day I'll have to get a loan and get me a 296!

If you are in the Campbell River area check the local pawnshops and you might find a deal on a Garmin 296, And if you do find one please PM me where you found it... :cop:

Our Campbell River base was broken into and the crackheads made off with not one but two 296's! (As well as a bunch of computers, and fridge full of er, 'pop', and as well messed up the interior of our machines.)

F**kers! :rant: It's these selfish lazy b**stards that ruin it for everyone. Sure, insurance will cover it, but who really pays in the end? The poor working slob...

Helimat

I can't imagine anything much better than the 296... It's come way down in price anyway, but VIH actually bucks up 500 dollars to help offset the burden... that helps a lot... plus the compamy will reimburse a portion of a helmet as well, up to 500 bucks again... It's always been expensive to get set up to be a helicopter driver, but if the companies chip in it's way better for everybody...

HV

Guest bag swinnger
VIH actually bucks up 500 dollars to help offset the burden...

HV

Whats this?

First I heard of it.... you should probably bring that five hun with you when you fly up here tomorrow, I could use it to pay down my bar tab. B)

I have always just used whatever gps is in the machine, but I keep a portable Garmin E-trex in my bag too for a backup.

It's just a cheapy and runs on 2 AA batteries so I can keep it running all day no problem.

Although pricey, the Garmin 296 does seem pretty nifty. What kind of life do you really get out of the built in lithium ion battery and do you guys keep a spare battery pack with you in case it dies during the day?

I've been flying with an AirMap 2000c for three years now. It works very well. The software (MapCreate) isn't as good as MapSource, but it gets the job done. The only downside to the 2000c is power. It won't run very long on batteries. You absolutely need to have a cig lighter plug for it to be useful. I have a cig plug to Cannon plug setup for mine. Also, it's much more reliable when the external antenna is installed.

Depending on what's in the machine I'm flying, I'll either use it as primary or as secondary.

If I show up on a new fire, or a new seismic job, I'll likely use mine, as I can import waypoints directly to it with my laptop. Not usually as simple with the machine's unit.

If I come into an existing contract and the other pilot has already programmed all the waypoints in the a/c GPS, then I'll use it, and in spare time I'll add the more critical waypoints to my unit as backup.

When I fly, I always have both GPS units on, and my VNC is also folded to the right area. Ever once in awhile, I'll pick up the map and orient myself on it with respect to what the GPS units are giving me. It's happened to me twice in the past two years that both GPS units lost fix at the same time, leaving me to figure out where the devil I was. Both times happened when I was in a new place and hadn't gotten my bearings yet. The first time, I had to unfold my VNC and adjust my DG. I don't often make the same mistake twice ! the second time (on the Labrador coast last summer) I was ready. My DG was set and my VNC was folded to the right panel. My pax never noticed we'd lost GPS... :punk:

Anyways, if you're shopping for a new GPS, check out the Lowrance Airmap 600c. It's a beauty ! If I had to buy a new unit today, that's the one I'd go for. It's a lot lighter and more ergonomic than the Garmins, can be suction-cupped almost anywhere or strapped to your thigh, doesn't eat through batteries like they're goin' out of style, and the screen resolution is excellent.

My biggest discomfort with the Garmins is that they're designed to be operated right-handed. When you operate them with the left, your hand invariably blocks your view of the screen...

Guest bag swinnger

QUOTE (Jet B @ Feb 18 2008, 11:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
the Garmin 296 does seem pretty nifty. What kind of life do you really get out of the built in lithium ion battery and do you guys keep a spare battery pack with you in case it dies during the day?

I am seeing 11 hours at mid brightness on a two year old battery. most of our machines have cigarette plug ins for the GPS. as well if you have a cannon plug, that works well also and whenever plugged in its always charging so the battery becomes your backup.