Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Air Ambulance Crashes In Temagami

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Update: Sunday 1400 EST

I have received permission from the pilots to release their names and medical situation:

PIC: Greg Harper

FO: Michael Bain

Greg sustained injuries typical of a helicopter crash, with a slight concussion, several broken ribs and a collapsed lung. His prognosis is good. He is recovering in hospital in Sudbury.

Michael suffered the most severe injuries with a broken back and a crushed verterbrae. After undergoing 6 hrs of surgery yesterday, he awoke this morning with full movement, was able to sit up in his hospital bed and even went for a walk down the hallway to see his wife and 11 month old daughter. He remains in the ICU in Toronto Sunnybrook Hospital.

Of the two medics, (whose names I cannot release as they do not work for us), one suffered a broken rib and some general brusing and the other also suffered some spinal injury, (without deficits) and is scheduled to undergo surgery within 48 hrs to remove bone fragments.

All 4 crew members are in good spirits, and given the nature of this accident, all CHL personnel , from the Company President down, are thrilled that the four are expected to make full recoveries. All four crew were wearing helmets.

The aircraft is in the process of being recovered.

The TSB is in control of the investigation and as we learn more, I will certainly share what I can.

The thought of the day is this:

Flying is serious business and can produce severe consequences when a flight does not work out as planned. I for one fully appreciate that it is important for all our crews to consider this truth every single day. I am so pleased that our crew appears to have made it through this event with a minimum of injuries in what can be an unforgiving occupation.

Godspeed to you all.

Walter

A truly professional gentleman!!

Amen to that R22, there must be something about Sudbury. The last time I was through there (87), seems like yesterday, working for the same company, I broke my back in Manitouage (OMNR). I did it all by myself on take-off.

All my best to everybody onboard, life does get better, I know how you feel.

Cheers, Don

:boff: :prop: :blur: :punk: :punk:

As an X Canadian EMS guy my heart stopped when I heard this on the weekend. I'm so glad it worked out the way it did. The response from Canadian's people is why I am still proud to have worked for such a great outfit. I hope eveyone makes a full recovery and is either wiggling sticks or fetching stretchers soon.

Cheers,

Dave