Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Air Ambulance Crashes In Temagami

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is some more news:

I have met with Greg and while he is sore, he is committed to buying that Harley this summer! He will be in hospital for a while yet, though. I haven't spoken with Mike in a few days but reports remain positive with his progress.

The aircraft has been recovered and is enroute to a secure location for further analysis under the direction of the TSB.

The pilots and AMEs at the Sudbury base are managing; it has been a trying few days. We took some of them out for dinner tonight and their spirits are high. Weather is interfering with bringing a back up aircraft to the base. We hope to have it there soon so that the base can return to a normal operating posture.

Again, Greg and Mike have both expressed to me a sincere thanks for all the support that they have received, including messages from this forum.

I imagine that updates to this thread will become less frequent. I will add what I can, when I can.

For some additional info, I refer you to:

http://www.thesudburystar.com/ArticleDispl...aura+Stradiotto

http://www.ornge.ca/

Walter

Treetop,

Due to the sensitivity of this subject I have removed the images that you posted. Your original post is below. I don't wish this to be the way that families and friends (or the crew involved) see pictures of their wrecked aircraft.

I appreciate everyone's positive comments and contributions that have been made to this thread, and I know the people at CHL do as well.

Walter, thank you for keeping everyone up to date on Mike and Greg's condition(s). We're all wishing for a speedy recovery...

Thank you!

Mike

(Toronto) – The dedicated men and women of Ornge, and the families who support them remain committed to providing quality care to the citizens of Ontario. Each and every day, with little regard for themselves they are called upon to assist those who are critically ill and injured.

Friday February 8th was no different. While en route to meet a land ambulance the helicopter from Sudbury was involved in an accident. The paramedics on board were Ornge Critical Care flight paramedic Dennis Quenneville, who has been with the air program for the past 11 years and Rob Bird, a 23 year veteran. Bird was treated and released from hospital on Saturday. Quenneville remains in hospital and is being treated for serious but non-life threatening injuries. Also on board were Canadian Helicopters Limited pilots Greg Harper and Michael Bain who also remain in hospital with non-life threatening injuries.

“Our flight paramedics care for critically ill and injured patients, these hard working men and women are highly skilled and are capable of providing hospital level complex care in the transport environment,” said Dr. Chris Mazza, Ornge President and CEO. “Our medical team includes flight paramedics, transport nurses and transport medicine physicians, who always put the quality care of patients first, I hold them and the pilots in very high regard,” he added.

“I want to commend the brave men and women of Ornge who risk their lives everyday,” said George Smitherman, Deputy Premier and Minister of Health and Long-Term Care. “Our thoughts are with those paramedics and pilots who were injured and we wish them a speedy recovery.”

Since the air program began 30 years ago, the rotor wing operation has exceeded 150,000 hours of accident free flying. The Transportation Safety Board of Canada is currently investigating the cause of the accident.

Ornge operates from a number of bases across the province and performs over 18,000 admissions annually. It coordinates all aspects of Ontario’s aero medical transport system, the new critical care land transport program, and the authorization of air and land ambulance transfers between hospitals. Ornge is dedicated to the provision of high quality patient care through innovative transport medicine.

Treetop,

Due to the sensitivity of this subject I have removed the images that you posted. Your original post is below. I don't wish this to be the way that families and friends (or the crew involved) see pictures of their wrecked aircraft.

I appreciate everyone's positive comments and contributions that have been made to this thread, and I know the people at CHL do as well.

Walter, thank you for keeping everyone up to date on Mike and Greg's condition(s). We're all wishing for a speedy recovery...

Thank you!

Mike

Mike,

As a current S-76 pilot and a former CHL-EMS pilot I have a great deal of compassion for those involved and a great deal of interest in the events that took place.

I found the photos of the accident scene to be very informative and thought other pilots and AMEs should have access to them.

If you feel it inappropriate for the "families and friends" to view pictures of the accident then would you be willing to allow the photos to be posted in a seperate thread?

I can appreciate that CHL advertises in Vertical and that you're in the business of making money through advertising so you may be choosing to not allow CHL to be shown in a negative light.

Regards,

ttf

Treetop, Respectfully to you......we have heard enough sadness on this site this week to last us for quite awhile.

Both recent accidents have been handled here with grace and dignity.

Though you photos of the scene may be informative, I agree with VerticalMike that this may not be an appropriate venue.

May I suggest you send the photos by PM to any interested readers if they request to learn from them also ??

OT

I would like to thank all of you for your support through this difficult time. It is most appreciated. As I can only speak for myself, I can let you all know that I am doing well, discharged from the hospital this afternoon and can now recover from home. Thank you again.

Greg Harper

I would like to thank all of you for your support through this difficult time. It is most appreciated. As I can only speak for myself, I can let you all know that I am doing well, discharged from the hospital this afternoon and can now recover from home. Thank you again.

Greg Harper

My gosh, what a joy to be able to see/read someone coming on here and being able to say that! Very awesome and continued (and full!) recovery to you and the others! :)