Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Ear Plugs

Hi All,

Im after some advice as to custom moulded earplugs to be used under the helmet whilst flying.

Ive tried the standard foam types but found them to be very uncomfortable. I know you can get custom moulded plugs for shooting etc and was wondering if any of you guys can reccomend their use and if so where did you purchase them from.

Thanks in advance.

206 :up:

Find a local Audiologist in your phone book, they can point you in the right direction. One of the guys here has custom plugs and quite likes them (about $120 to get fitted).

Did you get the regular CEPs or the mini's?

One of the guys at our base has the regulars and they are significantly larger than the mini's. I use the mini's and the smallest available plugs and they still took some getting used too, although now I wouldn't go without them.

make sure to get the "vented" versions. that way they allow for altitude pressure AND they allow conversation without always having to take them out. i wear them and they are GREAT!! :up:

in the helicopter or riding my motorcycle...they rock!

this is what i have:

http://www.protectear.com/products/list_products.asp

make sure to get the "vented" versions. that way they allow for altitude pressure AND they allow conversation without always having to take them out. i wear them and they are GREAT!! :up:

in the helicopter or riding my motorcycle...they rock!

this is what i have:

http://www.protectear.com/products/list_products.asp

+1 for custom protect ear. I use mine all the time (though not flying yet, used lots in training), and they worked just fine under my helmet. This company makes flying specific, vented plugs, as well as music compatible one's that'll hook into your mp3 player, etc.

P.S. 412, I find mine aren't good on the bike because the helmet changes the shape of my ear slightly and breaks the seal. I use regualr foam when I ride.

P.P.S. I just got a brand new Triumph Speed Triple 1050... when's the snow going to melt??