Best School?

huns

Dig around here and you'll find lots of threads on training in Canada. If you want the low-down on US schools, you'll be better off on one of the US forums (like verticalreference or justhelicopters, to name a couple).

Be very careful of any school promising an instructing job after training. Some 3000 student pilots recently learned the hard way with the closure of Silverstate.

IMHO, if you plan to work in Canada, you're better off training here. If you have a green card and want to work in the US, then by all means go for it. They're hurting for pilots worse than we are here. Lots of lowtimers are getting cojo jobs down there...

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By the way my last post wasnt meant in any sort of hostility, I have a pretty good idea of who Iceman88 is and thought it was hilarious when a few of the people he spoke to called operators and asked if they would pay the $130,000 bill for school in exchange for a contract.

Cheers.

Cole

There is no best school for everyone, go to as many as possible, find the place you will fit in. Its important you find an instructor you get along with, as you will spend a great deal of time with him or her. The training philosophy of the the schools and programs are not all the same, find the one fits with your goals.

Remember it's all about education, not getting 100 hrs in the air, or at least it should be.

Good luck with your search, and do your home work. It's too late to change your mind after the 50,000 is spent.

Rob

does anyone know abot california avation? they are offering a job instructing when the course is finished.

OK.....think about that......would you want a kid with a new licence and ZERO experience teaching you how to fly? Or would you rather have someone with ALOT of experience teaching you to fly...

do your homework. since I have left the teaching game for a sabbatical and have no affiliation with any school i can give you an honest recommendation. learn on a 47 and learn in the Fraser valley and you will do fine. There are two VERY good schools that fly the 47's in the valley. Visit both and make your decision.....

good luck :)

would you want a kid with a new licence and ZERO experience teaching you how to fly? Or would you rather have someone with ALOT of experience teaching you to fly...

i really think this applies in the plank world as well... i know when i did my ppl(a), my instructor was just there to build hrs until he could go back home to switzerland and drive for the airline... which he succeeded at, and good for him... but still, while a ppl is just a lic to have fun with or get started, it's the early habits that are learned from your IP that will stay with you forever... food for thought, i think... ;)

OK.....think about that......would you want a kid with a new licence and ZERO experience teaching you how to fly? Or would you rather have someone with ALOT of experience teaching you to fly...

do your homework. since I have left the teaching game for a sabbatical and have no affiliation with any school i can give you an honest recommendation. learn on a 47 and learn in the Fraser valley and you will do fine. There are two VERY good schools that fly the 47's in the valley. Visit both and make your decision.....

Wow.....someones word just took a serious hit......it is good to know that only now are we getting an "honest" recommendation......when someone asks me what school to recommend I give them my best answer for their situation regardless of who i instruct for.

Suprising comment from you 412

snowedin:

I hazard to say that what 412D meant was that he (and others) are hesitant to meal their own cake too much, just so that they don't sound TOO high on themselves.

I would ofcourse like to recommend my own school as well, but again, I don't think it is right to meal my own cake too much.

To all out there looking for schools, remember, there are schools to the east of the mountains too, and some of them do top notch work as well (if not all).

Cheers

W.

exactly Winnie, thanks. just saying nobody is paying me to endorse any school ;)

as to my word? my grandfather taught me that one of the most impoortant things in life is a man's word. something i take very serious. so i'm just going to leave it at you misunderstanding the meaning of my post.

and yes, i am sure there are good schools out east too ;)

Im wondering if you could explain the reason for recommending learning on a 47? Im hoping to start training by next year but so far I've been putting more weight on the instructors rep than what type of machine is used. So Im curious to hear how a 47 would change my training experience and (of course) if it will help/effect my employability (I think thats a real word??)

Thanks for your time,