Firearms

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest JeffyG

depending on where i am working i do carry a shotty with me. 14" 870 with brenekke or challenger slugs... usually have a few #5 or #6 with me too. i keep a full stock on it (not legal to put a pistol grip on it nor do i think i could hit anything with one on it, OAL on shotguns have to be 26" and it comes in just shorter than that)

would NOT like to spend the night somewhere between Arviat - Churchhill in the event of an unscheduled stop without one.

When you are talking firearms in Canada, and barrel lengths and overall lengths, the are always exceptions to the rule. If you come across a firearm with lengths shorter than the rule, have it checked in the RCMP's firearm reference table. It may be legal.

Also about the 12 gauge and survival. Slugs, shot, and often forgotten flares. Carry an assortment of the three. Double check your chamber lengths too.

H

Guest JeffyG

correct it may be legal but you will be avoiding trouble and questions if you just stick with the rules. handguns are a totally different matter but with shotguns there really is no reason to go shorter than what is the standard legal limit

A pilot and gun smart friend just looked at this thread and stated:

"If you have to ask the question you should not have a rifle, shotgun or pistol anywhere near you."

I think he is correct.

I don't understand how asking a question implies that I'd be dangerous gun owner. I'm just trying to build an auxiliary skill set that would make me a better candidate than the next low time pilot.

Always had the 870 along especially on the hudson bay coast...was coming back from rankin with an engineer along who wanted to go fishing...stopped at the seal river after doing a quick look around....machine is at idle when buddy says he can't wait to get a line in the water...I said he should wait till I get the gun out...he's up and out...I shut down and grab the gun...he says you not going to fish...I said I will keep a lookout for Mr Polar bear...he fiquires I am perinoid...well nothing was biting so I says lets go I know a great spot south of churchill...fire up old bettsy and as we are lifting off not 10 feet in front of us is a hugh white bear...his line is where is my camera...I want some pictures...I told him I would drop him off real close if he would like...what a dork!!! :blink:

I always carried the 22/20 gauge over under back in the day. One time I'm in a fire camp in Sask and there is a bear coming in for food. This is in the middle of the day and lots of people around so there is something wrong with the bear.

The fire boss laments the fact there is no rifle in camp and I tell him about my little survival rifle. Got slugs? he asks. Oh yeah sez I

He chums up the bear with a package of wieners and lets it rip from about 30 feet away. that little 20 gauge slug opened Mr. bear from stem to gudgeon. Killed his butt deader than dead pretty much instantly.

I got rid of it because I didn't want to pay for the firearms certificate but if in bear country it is the way to go. And you can while away the hours plinking with the 22.

I carried a AR-7 for survival, but wouldn't do much for bears.

You also might want to try bear spray if your worried, Easy to carry around and fits on your belt.

It's just not as much fun!!!!

The Henry U.S. Survival AR-7 is a new and improved version of the famous U.S. Airforce AR-7 .22 rifle. The ultra lightweight design breaks down in seconds into three pieces, enabling the barrel action and magazines to fit comfortably into the dirt and waterproof stock. When stowed, it measures a mere 16.5” long and includes a sturdy plastic box with carrying handle for storage and transportation. The steel barrel is covered in a tough ABS plastic and is coated in teflon to allow the gun to balance properly, yet have a durable weather resistant finish. The gun is capable of floating either assembled or disassembled. The stock holds and includes two 8 round magazines. Black finish. Weight: 2.5 lbs. Overall length 35”.

Cat. No. 460002

Price: $ 212.99

Quantity:

You also might want to try bear spray if your worried, Easy to carry around and fits on your belt.

It's just not as much fun!!!!

Not sure which is more of a hassle: Gun or bear spray. Carrying bearspray involves your company having a specific exemption for it (it's not covered in limited access, but I hear it will be shortly). <_<

As far as bearspray effectiveness, it'll work on small black bears and on other critters like foxes and raccoons, but if you're hoping to intimidate a large black, grizz or polar bear, you'll probably do it more harm by throwing the can and hitting it on the nose than by actually discharging it. :lol:

The risk of you forgetting to remove it from your belt prior to flight and it going off in the cockpit represents a far greater risk in my view. :mellow:

I've found that just cranking the engine a couple of seconds will scare most black bears away instantly. Never been close to the other kinds on the ground to measure effectiveness... :unsure: