Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Alea Safety Letter

• 2 weeks later...
I wonder what would happen to the safety numbers if they hired pilots to fly their machines instead of turning cops into pilots?

212wench Who do you think flys their machines if they are not pilots? Do you think you have to spend time in the military or commercial industry before you can be classified as a pilot? Where does it say anything about hiring cops and turning them into pilots in that news letter. The letter is talking about improving training in order to reduce accidents. "One should always ensure the throttle is closed before hitting the starter to ensure one does not blow smoke and hot air out of his pipe."( reference is type specific?)

212wench Who do you think flys their machines if they are not pilots? Do you think you have to spend time in the military or commercial industry before you can be classified as a pilot? Where does it say anything about hiring cops and turning them into pilots in that news letter. The letter is talking about improving training in order to reduce accidents. "One should always ensure the throttle is closed before hitting the starter to ensure one does not blow smoke and hot air out of his pipe."( reference is type specific?)

Here is a typical job description for a Police pilot in the states, as well as the hour requirments.

"Classification Responsibilities: An employee in this class may operate a helicopter into and out of sparsely populated mountainous/desert terrain and heavily populated residential areas often under adverse weather conditions. Additional duties include: transporting police officers on assignment as observers during overt and covert airborne surveillance missions and while in pursuit of fleeing suspects or when searching for persons. The work requires considerable initiative and independent judgement in the flight operation of rotary aircraft. Works at elevated levels up to a maximum of 12,000 feet while performing police helicopter patrol missions."

So, we have a job description that in effect says the pilot will work day or night, in adverse weather conditions, over populated areas, at altitude. What would you expect the hour requirments to be for this job? How many hours PIC? How many hours on type? How many hours night? IFR rating?

These are the requirements as posted with this job description.

"Minimum Qualification(s) Required. Possession of a current Commercial Pilot Certificate, with a Rotorcraft-Helicopter rating; a minimum of 500 hours helicopter flight time, 100 hours in make and model, including 25 hours of dual instruction from an authorized Section Flight Instructor; and a minimum of three years law enforcement experience as a peace officer."

I am not trying to say that pilots do not exceed the minimum requirements when hired as I am sure many do but I think the point is....someone with 500 hours is not usually considered to be qualified to fly low level, over populated areas, in adverse weather conditions, at altitude, carrying passengers in a single engine bird at night!

Wouldn't you agree?

WW

you also can't turn sh*t into gold either.....but one would always want to stack their deck into their favour and picking a lobster from the ocean will give you far better selection than picking one from the pot on your stove.

you also can't turn sh*t into gold either.....but one would always want to stack their deck into their favour and picking a lobster from the ocean will give you far better selection than picking one from the pot on your stove.

:up: You have a way with words, Twisty :up:

Let's see now. Once upon a time, I was required "to fly low level, over populated areas, in adverse weather conditions, at altitude, carrying passengers in a single-engine bird at night"......with LESS than 500 hrs. at the beginning. I was also expected to land into and exit out-of confined areas at night and some of them though a 150' 'canopy' of jungle trees. I was also required to do all of the foregoing while possibly taking in-coming automatic gunfire on occasions. I was also expected to do that on very hot and humid occasions that made my a/c very under-powered.......and I'm still all here.......but there are those who would tell you otherwise :lol: .

So much for 500 hrs.........and I STILL can't 'walk on water'. :lol: