Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Naffta

Cap, I'm not familiar with all aspects of the Jay treaty, but I can attest to the fact that when I now cross the border with my wife (status Cree) it does not matter what we purchased we never pay duty.

I started getting her to drive on the return trip and when they ask those standard questions, and we tell them we purchased $XX.XX dollars worth of merchandise, we hand them the receipts with her status card on the top, they hand them back immediately and wave you thru.

She has also applied for some jobs across the border and although she was not successful in gaining employment, it appeared she would have had no issue with working there, other than filling out the proper forms, which seemed minimal and easy enough to do.

Twisted Soar......... Yeah, that sounds correct. I could have looked the Jay Treaty up on the internet I suppose, but I was too lazy to do that. All I knew for definite was that there was some old Treaty from long ago that gave all North American aboriginals to Right to cross the US/Can. borders at will, with no requirement or need for Passports or the like.

Helilog56 ------I have a feeling you work for AirCrane....is that correct?

Howdy Cap,---Hilarious! I guess an "aboriginal" is an "aboriginal" regardless of where they come from [sJ] Get them while you still can [sJ]. Where he’s from is a minor technicality, although pretty funny.

Well you already know more than I do regarding the "Jay Treaty" as I had never heard of it. Ill have do some homework and figure out if "Inuit" qualify under those conditions, It would be another great benefit and a potential to save some money going across the border. I (We) don't have treaty cards instead we are issued NTI cards (Inuit Registry). This allows us to access an abundant amount of resources available to all individual Inuit. The card itself, gives us discounts at a specified locations and an exception on the PST. No problems using it in provinces out east but a little bit of a different story in the west.

I'm not really current on the full scope of Native American Benefits and exactly who they apply to. Inuit don’t have "tribes", "chiefs" or "bands" and our settlements aren't called "reserves" and there is a gap between Native Americans and Inuit as historically they didn't "get along". The majority of aboriginal programs offered coast to coast do include Native Americans and Inuit for eligibility criteria and those which are more specific. I have a passport and pay the goods tax every time I crossed the border and have done this for quite sometime and the only real benefit I have is not getting hassled at customs (except once). I really have to google the treaty and try and learn more as I was not aware that they could enlist and thought you had to be a citizen.

I wonder how the crossing the border freely will affect those eligible under the treaty when the new passport law comes full swing in 2009? Take care! Thanks for the information it could possibly keep a few more pennies in my pocket.

Elvis still rocks! Thanks for the motivation buddy, I will google before I post.................

Cap: Ironic That I should receive a present from you on your Birthday, thanks for the Jay treaty! Live and learn something new everyday! and to think I spent money on passports for me and my family, not to mention that I got the kids their American citizenship....Geez..As an American I have never bothered to do the research as it was never an issue.

Jay Treaty Info:

"If you were born in Canada and have at least 50% Aboriginal blood, you have the right to enter the U.S. to live or work. This right is guaranteed by federal statute (8 U.S.C. §1359) and the federal court case Akins v. Saxbe, 380 F. Supp. 1210 (D.Me. 1974)."

"When you cross the border with intent to live or work in the U.S., you should be prepared to prove that you have at least 50% Aboriginal blood."

"At the border, you may be asked for any or all of the following documents:

A letter from your band office stating that you have at least 50% Aboriginal blood (also referred to as blood quantum). For information on how to contact your band office, see Appendix.

Your Certificate of Indian Status Card (the card with the red stripe along the top).

Your long form birth certificate. For information on how to get your long form birth certificate, see Appendix.

A photo ID.

If you are Haudenosaunee, your Red I.D. Card.

If you are Inuit, an Inuit enrollment card from one of the regional Inuit lands claim agreements. "

"The United States abides by its provisions today but Canada does not."

Quoted source: http://www.danielnpaul.com/AmericanBritish...reaty-1794.html

Apologies for steering of course from the main subject.

I know of "hundreds" of Inuit who are not aware of this provision it will prove to be valuable information.

Thanks again

Inuk ------ you are most welcome sir and good luck with it. I am similiar also. but for different reasons . My mother was American born and bred and that gave me my dual citizenship.

Cap: Thank you Sir!

My father is an Canadian Inuk and gives me my Canadian and Nunavut citizenship.

My mother was American born and bred and that gave me my dual citizenship.

Not too different! Cheers!