Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Bh205b

HTP

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you mean the WAT chart, then I was under the impression that it doesn't really apply to releaseable external loads.

If you mean the OGE performance charts then I'm not sure since I don't have a book in front of me.

If you are talking about practical on the job experience, then I can tell you a 205A1++ will walk away with full gross weight easily at that altitude and temperature. We did 3000lb rigs and 1000lbs of fuel all day long at hotter higher altitudes with no problem.

If this wasn't any help, sorry.

QUOTE (Jet B @ Feb 29 2008, 10:14 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
If you mean the WAT chart, then I was under the impression that it doesn't really apply to releaseable external loads.

If you mean the OGE performance charts then I'm not sure since I don't have a book in front of me.

If you are talking about practical on the job experience, then I can tell you a 205A1++ will walk away with full gross weight easily at that altitude and temperature. We did 3000lb rigs and 1000lbs of fuel all day long at hotter higher altitudes with no problem.

If this wasn't any help, sorry.

Thanks JetB.....

Yes your right that the WAT chart's not applicable, it's for IGE conditions but the practical advice is appreciated. I don't know if your still flying the machine but if you are and could scan the OGE hover chart at TKOF power and email it to me I'd appreciate it greatly. We are thinking of upgrading a 205A1 and need the figures to sell/justify to the bean counters

thanks...HTP

Thanks JetB.....

Yes your right that the WAT chart's not applicable, it's for IGE conditions but the practical advice is appreciated. I don't know if your still flying the machine but if you are and could scan the OGE hover chart at TKOF power and email it to me I'd appreciate it greatly. We are thinking of upgrading a 205A1 and need the figures to sell/justify to the bean counters

thanks...HTP

Have you talked to PSE Medium about your upgrade? me thinks you will not have to talk to the bean counters..........no more upgrades are aloud. I believe the last one they would get involved with was 30299, C-FNTR a few years back. Just a thought. :unsure:

Have you talked to PSE Medium about your upgrade? me thinks you will not have to talk to the bean counters..........no more upgrades are aloud. I believe the last one they would get involved with was 30299, C-FNTR a few years back. Just a thought. :unsure:

Hi Stab bar....

It more or less drifted into a 205A++ discussion now....No 205B's available, or likely to be so as you rightly say.....

210 production has stopped either permanently or for the foreseeable future depending on who you talk to?

Bell say stopped, finished, forget it, move on!... Others say it's only until the 412 sales decline and the 210 will do a phoenix thereafter... mediums have become the ' must have' machine again, and the prices are insane for the odd machines that are available from time to time.

A Super 204B would work great also (we're 100% external load operators) but same same there!

Anyway, thanks for the input and if you stumble on a genuine 205A++/204SuperB....

you know who to contact :bye:

Fly safe......HTP

Look into the perf charts on a 205B before you bother to buy one - they were never approved for the loads that a 205A1 with the 212 rotor can pull. Since Bell only made a handful (I believe there are only two one the Canadian civil register - can't say about the US) they never worked up new charts to exploit the upgrades. The 205A1+ (212 rotor) STC allows the higher external load gross, and the STC's that install the T53-17 (205A1++) allow operation without any practical temp limits.

On another tack, the Eagle single is a better option than even the 205A1++ since you get the benefits of the 11,200 gross and full dual hydraulics with roughly the same basic empty as a 205. Only downside is the 9 pax limitation. If you're only longlining, then this is the aircraft for you: pilot, forestry seatmeat technician, full fuel with a 90gal aux tank included (2000# fuel), and the 350gal Bambi can be lifted in the Alberta foothills with no trouble. Gotta love it.

Official word from BHT is that the 210 program is done. The last (fourth) ship is at Edwards&Associates right now - apparently it's just begun flight testing. Those ships are going to be another 205B - abandoned at birth - since the engineers at Bell drove the program under by overworking the airframes and then cutting component times on off-the-shelf parts that were re-identified as with 210 numbers. I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for another kick at the 210 kitty.

Yup, the 212 S from Eagle is a sweet ship. All the good of a 212 (11,200lb gross) without the hassle of two engines, the T53-17, new panel, and all zero-timed components, yes, ZERO-TIMED. Its basically a brand new helicopter. But like the 210, very expensive.

The fit and finish of the machine I worked on was near-perfect. It also had a ton of Dart up-grades such as the door roller kits, fuel manifold drain kit, glass windshields, steps, ect.

The wiring was all new, the instruments new, and the nicest part for an engineer was the transmission pylon was converted from a 212 to a 205 type, ie: larger inspection holes to access the T/R drive coupling. Also, the transmission itself is the latest and greatest version with the higher torque limits and extra chip detector. She is also very fast. 120 kts and smooth as glass. My pilot had to watch he didn't exceed VNE in the cold winter air.

Eagle hit this one out of the park. Too bad about the 9-seat limitation tho. That rule sounded like sour grapes from Bell and the failed 210 experiment.