Pilots

Heli500

don't worry splitpin, I would never slump to a level to classify all engineers like that! I have a lot of good friends that are engineers and we have a lot of fun doing a good job together. If it's a cold night I'll go get him a big coffee and maybe come hold the nelson on his hands while he fidels with those little bolts. It's always fun once the engineer trusts you with tools and we all spend a day in the hanger joking around, eating donuts and doing a 300! I just hate to see pilots be lumped into a group like this thread states.

I am sure it would be a pleasure to work with you splitpin, I will keep your tools clean and land on dry ground for you anytime

Had a couple of Pilots bring me coffee last season, one even bought me a nice dinner with wine!! I'll tell you now, I was "tickled frickin pink" Jeez, did they ever get good service after that. I bent over backwards (NO, not forwards!!) for them.

As for you "sirlandsalot" YO DA MAN!!!

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Bullet Remington

I'm one of the guilty! I harrass my driver every chance I get! And in most cases, I get as good, and a couple of times better then I give! I like it that way, Makes a redundent and boring bush job a little more fun. He is My driver!

Having said that, I do this to his face, not behind his back and never within ear shot of a customer or other driver. That's just bad etiquette. I never brow beat somebody else's driver and I don't tolerate anybody else brow beating mind! I will stand up for and support my driver! I need him, and whether he likes it or not, he needs me.

Every driver I've worked with knows that he can depend on me to ensure that MY MACHINE is safe for him to fly. And he knows that if there a way for me to legally and safely get through this job/contract / tour , etc, etc, the machine will do it and so will he, SAFELY and LEGALLY!

My driver never has to ask me if the machine is DI'd, he knows it is! I will insist that he DI's it as well. If he doesn't I tell him I didn't do a DI. It's not that I don't like him, it just that I want a different set of eyes verifying that everything I said was correct is correct. My driver knows that I'd rather have another engineer check my work, but in a pinch, I tolerate my driver checking it! He is just a driver but he is MY driver!

My driver doesn't remind me every day that he's made me flight pay, he knows better. I don't remind him every day I've been up all night just to ensure he could earn more then daily minimums. My driver doesn't insist that I clean his office area, He knows I'm not a groom, I'm an engineer.

Just to get under my skin, every once in a while my driver will grab a mop and bucket, fill it with soap and water and start messing with the machine while I'm cleaning up the truck and parts trailer. I think he does it just to get me riled up!! He knows I can't handle a driver screwing with a perfectly serviceable machine when its ready to generate revenue! Not without my supervision anyways!

It's a two way street, My driver knows that, as do I. And we both know, the hardest thing in life to get and retain is respect. Then again, we both know the easiest thing to lose, is also respect.

But I don't have to worry about the respect thing, My driver knows all about it. He gets it and I get it!

Now if only i could train my driver to make a half decent cup of coffee!! Jeez, when will I get to stop having to train these freakin driver???

Maggie: I see you're the same as ever! Stay outa the composite shop!! :punk:

Bullet Remington,

From a pilots point of view, I totally agree with everything you said. It is a 2 way street and as soon as you start the: 'your job, my job' discussion, you have already lost.

I like to think that I am one that can work with any "good" engineer. (You all can define your own parameters here) and realize that it takes two to tango.

I consider my self lucky to work with the maintenance people we have. All top notch and everyone works towards the same goal. To be safe, and to fly hours on the machine. Then everyone wins.

When it comes to be only about the "numbers" you loose a lot in the company. When you realize that there is more in the pay envelope than the cheque, then you are truly fortunate...

Thanks for your comments...

The most important thing I have strived for in my career is to ensure that the pilots rear end is firmly stuck to a bar stool at the end of the day. I grew up in a time when we began with the mediums and flew virtually every hour with the pilot.

The most important thing I ever realized was that:

IF THERE WAS A MEATHEAD IN THE CROWD, HE WAS USUALLY STANDING IN MY SHOES!.

Pruss, Elby, Churcott, Porko, Bell, Freeman, Williamson, Lewis, Sharikow, Kobyashi, Ellis, Potter, Wyatt, Myers, on and on and on, many of them gone but never forgotten for everything they gave me and taught me and some still do today. If it wasn't for the pilots and engineers that I have had the pleasure of working with, I would have missed out on an incredible life.

I am sure that there are pilots I pissed of as well as those that pissed me off but on recall, there is not a one that as an individual or a group that I would entertain slagging anywhere. The experiences we shared range from absolute fear to absolute joy and terrible sorrow.

Today, I work with a woman pilot, who is up there with the best of them and she teaches me something new everyday.

It is what you make of it and what it makes of you will determine in the end, the best memories of a lifetime. I hope all of yours are good.

Regards

carholme

I'm one of the guilty! I harrass my driver every chance I get! And in most cases, I get as good, and a couple of times better then I give! I like it that way, Makes a redundent and boring bush job a little more fun. He is My driver!

Having said that, I do this to his face, not behind his back and never within ear shot of a customer or other driver. That's just bad etiquette. I never brow beat somebody else's driver and I don't tolerate anybody else brow beating mind! I will stand up for and support my driver! I need him, and whether he likes it or not, he needs me.

Every driver I've worked with knows that he can depend on me to ensure that MY MACHINE is safe for him to fly. And he knows that if there a way for me to legally and safely get through this job/contract / tour , etc, etc, the machine will do it and so will he, SAFELY and LEGALLY!

My driver never has to ask me if the machine is DI'd, he knows it is! I will insist that he DI's it as well. If he doesn't I tell him I didn't do a DI. It's not that I don't like him, it just that I want a different set of eyes verifying that everything I said was correct is correct. My driver knows that I'd rather have another engineer check my work, but in a pinch, I tolerate my driver checking it! He is just a driver but he is MY driver!

My driver doesn't remind me every day that he's made me flight pay, he knows better. I don't remind him every day I've been up all night just to ensure he could earn more then daily minimums. My driver doesn't insist that I clean his office area, He knows I'm not a groom, I'm an engineer.

Just to get under my skin, every once in a while my driver will grab a mop and bucket, fill it with soap and water and start messing with the machine while I'm cleaning up the truck and parts trailer. I think he does it just to get me riled up!! He knows I can't handle a driver screwing with a perfectly serviceable machine when its ready to generate revenue! Not without my supervision anyways!

It's a two way street, My driver knows that, as do I. And we both know, the hardest thing in life to get and retain is respect. Then again, we both know the easiest thing to lose, is also respect.

But I don't have to worry about the respect thing, My driver knows all about it. He gets it and I get it!

Now if only i could train my driver to make a half decent cup of coffee!! Jeez, when will I get to stop having to train these freakin driver???

Maggie: I see you're the same as ever! Stay outa the composite shop!! :punk:

Probably one of the best pots EVER on this site!!!

Pruss, Elby, Churcott, Porko, Bell, Freeman, Williamson, Lewis, Sharikow, Kobyashi, Ellis, Potter, Wyatt, Myers, on and on and on, many of them gone but never forgotten for everything they gave me and taught me and some still do today.

Regards

carholme

Was that Gord Wyatt or his brother, carholme. I remember they both bought it exactly one year apart. There is also another Wyatt who flies (I have forgotten his name) and another who is an Engineer.