Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Eyesight Reqs. For Canadian Cat 1 Medical?

al321

Hi all, I was directed here after posting this question on another forum.

Basically, I'm looking into training for a CPL in Canada, but it seems like my poor eyesight's an issue (-5.00/-4.75). The CAR site says that for a visually impaired candidate like myself, my vision should be at least -3.00 or 20/200 without glasses/contacts. What I've heard is that this is completely untrue and that as long as your corrected vision is 20/20, your prescription doesn't matter and you're good to go. What's the deal here?

Thanks for any help,

Alex

I was in a similiar situation with TC, with my vision, I cannot even see the big E on the chart, as well as I have astigmatism, so between the two, I cannot see 20/200 uncorrected which is in the CAR's for eye sight uncorrected, but with correction (I use glasses/contact lenses) I can see 20/20. So what happend with my Class 1 Medical was, is a report from my Eye Dr. was obtained, kicked over to TC, they reviewed the file, and gave me a Class 1 Medical. TC has the final say in this kind of situation.

Hope this helps.

Matt

Guest Bullet Remington

As long as you're correctable to 20/20 you're good to go. I've had a CPl for eons. When i got mine I was -700 in the left eye and -825 in the right. But i was corrected to 20/20 with glasses.

I am now 20/20 without glasses thanks to cataract surgery!

Having said that, get it from the horses mouth. talk with the Aviation medical Examiner at the nearest TCCA office and make sure.

good Luck to you!

1.35 The applicant shall be required to have a distant visual acuity of not less than 6/9 (20/30) in each eye separately, with or without the use of correcting lenses. Where this standard of visual acuity can be obtained only with correcting lenses the applicant shall be assessed fit provided that

(a) such correcting lenses are worn when exercising the privileges of the licence or rating applied for or held;

(B) the applicant possesses a visual acuity without correction in each eye separately, not less than 6/60 (20/200) and the refractive error falls within the range of ± 3.0 diopters (equivalent spherical error);

(amended 2003/06/01)

© the applicant has a spare pair of suitable correcting glasses available for immediate use when exercising the privileges of the licence.

NOTE: Correcting lenses" shall be interpreted to mean spectacles or contact lenses. Contact lenses shall not be approved prior to six months trial wear.

You can also try talking to your local CAME the list is on the TC site

I was in a similiar situation with TC, with my vision, I cannot even see the big E on the chart, as well as I have astigmatism, so between the two, I cannot see 20/200 uncorrected which is in the CAR's for eye sight uncorrected, but with correction (I use glasses/contact lenses) I can see 20/20. So what happend with my Class 1 Medical was, is a report from my Eye Dr. was obtained, kicked over to TC, they reviewed the file, and gave me a Class 1 Medical. TC has the final say in this kind of situation.

Hope this helps.

Matt

As long as you're correctable to 20/20 you're good to go. I've had a CPl for eons. When i got mine I was -700 in the left eye and -825 in the right. But i was corrected to 20/20 with glasses.

I am now 20/20 without glasses thanks to cataract surgery!

Having said that, get it from the horses mouth. talk with the Aviation medical Examiner at the nearest TCCA office and make sure.

good Luck to you!

That is excellent to hear!

Í emaíled a few TC medical offices and got a similar response from their headquarters:

Re refraction / prescription is -5 (or worse) in both eyes.

> Our vision standards are currently under amendment. There will be no

mention of refractive index in the new standard. Pending official

publication we will assess each cases using flexibility. Persons with a high

degree of myopia (e.g. spherical equivalent of - 7.0 dioptres or worse

may have to wear contact lenses for correction but they could still be

issued a medical certificate.

> So yes, it is likely that you could be considered regardless of

your refractive index. The (old and) new standards are on-line at the

following website. Read under New Text

> Notice of Proposed Amendment (NPA 2003-167) (Table) -

Responsibilities of Medical Examiner Issue - Changes to CAR 424.17(3), Vision

Standards to meet with the requirements of International Standards.

http://www.tc.gc.ca/CivilAviation/Regserv/...n03/2003167.htm

:D

i had a similar problem going for my medical.....in the beginning...TC gave me a restricted medical....i ended up going to my regular eye doctor for some tests and he ended up sending tC a letter saying that my eyesight met TC requirements...2 weeks later i got an unrestricted medical in the mail.. :up:

• 11 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 11/6/2019 at 9:35 PM, Hadex said:

Hi,

Sorry for digging this old thread up but is this still true? My eyes are both nearly -8 and I'm worried if they got any new limitation. Thanks

Im about the same but corrected to 20/20 and never had any issues

Just do your medical before you get too far into training then you'll know for sure before you sink too much money into it