Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Tools Tips And Tricks

Gary Watson

I am taking a chance on this topic and trying a different tactic on pulling in some info for both myself and for a future article.

I know there are lots of knowledgeable AMEs, A&Ps and LAMEs on this forum. As my prime knowledge tends towards the sparky side of the house more than the oily rag :), I always like to ask others about their personal areas of expertise. That's why I like writing.

1. I would like to know what you would take to the bush with you in addition to your usual assortment of tools?

ie. Heading out with a 206 - what would be the most important "special tool" you would take?

substitute any other make/model of machine as I know certain machines require certain special tools.

2. Based on the above helicopter what are a couple of your favourite tips or tricks to keep it flying or to carry out a repair easier? No limit to the number of items if you have worked on a number of different types over the years.

Only legal type stuff however-- I know about the lockwire,chewing gum and the goat trick ;)

The best items I will include in an article but only if you contact me by PM to give your permission.

Any takers?

Gary W

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am taking a chance on this topic and trying a different tactic on pulling in some info for both myself and for a future article.

I know there are lots of knowledgeable AMEs, A&Ps and LAMEs on this forum. As my prime knowledge tends towards the sparky side of the house more than the oily rag :), I always like to ask others about their personal areas of expertise. That's why I like writing.

1. I would like to know what you would take to the bush with you in addition to your usual assortment of tools?

ie. Heading out with a 206 - what would be the most important "special tool" you would take?

substitute any other make/model of machine as I know certain machines require certain special tools.

2. Based on the above helicopter what are a couple of your favourite tips or tricks to keep it flying or to carry out a repair easier? No limit to the number of items if you have worked on a number of different types over the years.

Only legal type stuff however-- I know about the lockwire,chewing gum and the goat trick ;)

The best items I will include in an article but only if you contact me by PM to give your permission.

Any takers?

Gary W

Sorry Gary. I just can't help myself on this one!!!

Bell Product:

post-907-1204601110_thumb.jpg

French Product:

post-907-1204601090_thumb.jpg

Just ignore me, I understand.

Sorry Gary. I just can't help myself on this one!!!

Bell Product:

post-907-1204601110_thumb.jpg

French Product:

post-907-1204601090_thumb.jpg

Just ignore me, I understand.

Too friggin' funny!

Seriously tho.... a trick I learned from a buddy (dave) is one of my fav things to take in the bush-box is a couple of bread or cake pans from momma's kitchen.... they hold small parts, catch the fluids dripping from open lines or filter housings, can be used on the bench or engine decks for washing parts ect. They cost little, weigh almost nothing, and can be used in many of ways.

Also, any form or home-made or 'customized' tool often becomes a guy's fav tool....sometimes because he made it himself, or because it is the only tool that can do the job ( R.R 250-C20 FCU anyone?)

Over the years I built tools for some ugly jobs or just to make a tedious one a little easier. Some I got the ideas from others, some I came up with myself. two of my favorites are:

Starter Gen support fixture for a 205. Used to install, remove or just to re-lube the drive spline.

204 T/R chain stretch tool. It is used as a go-no-go guage for the chain while it is still installed on the machine.

Both tools are easy to make, and use. Saves a lot of work in both jobs.

1) A small tarp or plastic sheet to stuff around the swashplate on a medium if you're working up top, or to spread under the hellhole if you're task is lower down, to catch all the wee parts before they go away.

2) A collection of wee parts for the ones that miss the tarp.

3) Some smoke to put back into the wires once I'm done troubleshooting.

Artic Front.

204 T/R chain stretch tool. It is used as a go-no-go gauge for the chain while it is still installed on the machine.

Is this a Bell approved tool? If you had a chain failure can you prove to the the TSB that You followed the required Bell requirements for the chain inspections?

I carry a little plastic container (about 4"x6")with a snap-on leakproof lid for filter checks on the PT-6. Catches all the residual and if you hold it up to the sun you can see any little gremlins floating around. I also carry a big Frikkin hammer for a Pilot adjustment tool. (just kidding!)

a nicely ground down 1 1/16" box end wrench with a large penny washer welded over one end and a cap to fit the fuel nozzel on the rr 250 c-20. keeps the wrench in place on the slim nut, when the last guy didn't use the anti sieze or over tightened the nozzel into the burner can.

:punk: HG.

Artic Front.

204 T/R chain stretch tool. It is used as a go-no-go gauge for the chain while it is still installed on the machine.

Is this a Bell approved tool? If you had a chain failure can you prove to the the TSB that You followed the required Bell requirements for the chain inspections?

Elvis, I have done the inspection both on and off the machine to double-check if it works accurately, if anything, it will show as a no-go chain when it might be 'technically' serviceable. I built into it some margin. It works as advertised. Wether it is bell-approved? Good question. Good point. I might call P.S.E and get some expert advice. It can't hurt. Might cover my ***.

Thanks, Elvis.