Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Tools Tips And Tricks

Gary Watson

helimat, got something to contribute?

Yea, sorry for joking around, just away from base and bored while the machines are out. This is a good thread, so I will attempt to get it going again.

here is a few things aside from the normal hand tools that I always bring with me when away with Astars:

IMG_8478.jpg

A few home made tools like the Hyd pump pulley bearing removal tool, the TR half shell bearing installation helper, and a bent common screwdriver for pulling seals and whatnot. I also am a big fan of the glass baby bottle and a surplus chunk of eng oil hose for rear brearing oil flow checks.

Helimat

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They're doin' jez fine, Twinnie. :rolleyes: Here's the only thing I can contribute, Gary. :lol:

post-824-1206583333_thumb.jpg

TQN At least your nails and cuticles will be neat :rolleyes: The scissors could also be used for several other tasks :blink:

All joking aside, small multi tool knives have their uses -- too bad you can't carry them with you when flying commercially

GW

• 4 weeks later...
Elvis, I have done the inspection both on and off the machine to double-check if it works accurately, if anything, it will show as a no-go chain when it might be 'technically' serviceable. I built into it some margin. It works as advertised. Wether it is bell-approved? Good question. Good point. I might call P.S.E and get some expert advice. It can't hurt. Might cover my ***.

Thanks, Elvis.

not sure what he means by go no-go chain but why would this be a problem. you dont have to pull the chain to do a stretch test.......just to do the inspection.

also am a big fan of the glass baby bottle and a surplus chunk of eng oil hose for rear brearing oil flow checks.

I found a great bottle made by Nalgine, it's plastic, so no chance of breaking in your box has gradients up to 150cc in increments of 25cc and it holds up to the heat of the oil. also instead of rubber tubing, find a scrap line and bend it the way you need it for any particular engine.

My other fav tool for astars is an old blade pin with the spring removed and a T handle welded to the top. simply remove in service blade pin install dummy pin and take your time with the pin inspection and greasing.

i guess i value my fingers...

that person who helps me lift the blade to remove the pins is going to help me take the blades right off and I'll inspect them properly on the ground and then he can help me put them back up later when it's all said and done. some jobs just aren't worth the shortcuts.

i guess i value my fingers...

that person who helps me lift the blade to remove the pins is going to help me take the blades right off and I'll inspect them properly on the ground and then he can help me put them back up later when it's all said and done. some jobs just aren't worth the shortcuts.

I will keep this in mind the next time I'm doing a 100hr when its -30c winds at 15kts gusting 30 and my helper and I drop a blade. I will just tell the office "TwistedSpar" told me to do it on vertical. this fourm is called "tools tips and tricks" thats exactly what I shared. It's a trick that can be used in the FIELD when conventional methods are not reasonably possible. If you or no one else wants to use this advice then thats fine with me. Some jobs are not worth the $100 000 price tag