Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

The "non-rev" Myth....

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bag swinnger
Driving to the job is the most dangerous and thats when we should get paid :lol::D

True, that is no joke!

Some of the closest calls I have had in recent years have been driving to the job sitting in the right seat while an Engineer or pilot has driven off the road, or smacked into the guard rail on a 150ft high bridge at 80k.[insert sphincter tightening smilie here] that is truly when you wonder if you have negotiated for enough $$

So when you take family or friends up for a ride around the town, out to your favorite fishing hole for an afternoon, land on that mountain peak with the awesome view etc. Do you submit your flight time for pay? Does your company give you an invoice for the machine and fuel?

Or is that somehow different because it benifits you?

When you accidently break a chin bubble by dropping a gps or put a scratch or dent in the helicopter accidently loose a load and loose a long line and a net do you pay for it? Or is that simply the cost of doing business?

There are always two side to these scenarios.

Do the operators make more money? Yes, because they have more risk. More money usually equalls more risk or commitment or both.

Todd

So when you take family or friends up for a ride around the town, out to your favorite fishing hole for an afternoon, land on that mountain peak with the awesome view etc. Do you submit your flight time for pay? Does your company give you an invoice for the machine and fuel?

Or is that somehow different because it benifits you?

When you accidently break a chin bubble by dropping a gps or put a scratch or dent in the helicopter accidently loose a load and loose a long line and a net do you pay for it? Or is that simply the cost of doing business?

There are always two side to these scenarios.

Do the operators make more money? Yes, because they have more risk. More money usually equalls more risk or commitment or both.

Todd

Todd,

With all due respect, you cannot compare company perk's and treating employees well, to wage structure and pay, they are two separate entities. By that logic, our favorite glacier tour outfit should let the boys and girls live in Calgary and give them a helicopter to commute home with each night....

As for the other things you mention.... You pay me a good rate to come and do my job in a professional manner - that means NOT loosing Ops gear, NOT breaking chin bubbles, NOT abusing the helicopter or the company, and providing a high level of service to both the customer AND the Operator. This is where your money goes, and it is well spent. I learned very early in this life, you get what you pay for, and it apples to hiring good help. If you're having these issues, perhaps you need to look at hiring different people. Sorry if that sound a bit harsh, but that's how I see it.

If you choose to let employees take a machine out for whatever reason, great, but don't try to roll that into pay. From a PILOT'S perspective, there in no "non-rev," it is a total fallacy. If you choose not to let me take the machine out for personal reasons, that's totally understandable and respectable, but you should pay me when I take it out for YOU regardless of the application.

That is after all why it's called "work."

AR