Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Discovery Channel Fairytale

Guest BeeBee

A 120 kick a 206's a$$ at altitude? Doubt that, hmmmmm, guess thats why there are so many of them operating in BC? A good machine, but simply underpowered, a common Eurocopter initial mistake!

please enlighten me on what the 206 was powered with initially there Mr Rex......guess Bell can screw up too. :rolleyes:

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Great Lakes Helicopters used to fly that "fugly" 206 as well, (Lovelyt 206, HORRIBLE color choice...)

Anyways, I thought the show was made by amateurs, and made to entertain, with not too much shred of reality (with regards to uses of the machine). Other than that, good show, and it showed that even professional pilots make mistakes (EC pilot missed a cone)

Or to quote the EC 120 owner: "I was afraid he was going to roll my machine in a ball!"

(Yes Bomann, It is me...)

:blink:

I didn't catch the show, but the way Discovery's web site is selling it...

"Airborne Extreme"

As a veteran of the skies since the Vietnam War, the Bell 206 Helicopter has come burn the image of just what a helicopter can do into the minds of the masses. Tough, dependable and sleek - the Bell 206 is the leader in the civilian market as the most popular turbine commercial helicopter ever - however Peter Anderson and his crew will be put to the test, as Richard Airlie and his green Eurocopter are on the move to steal the hot seat in the race for commercial success. Backed by air bust technology and sporting a deadly silent advantage - the Eurocopter is enviro-friendly, sexy and can fly undetected. Bell 206 won't back down without a fight, and we'll see them push their hogs of the sky to the limit with daredevil feats and life risking stunts to prove who's who in the race for leader of the airways.

Whoo-boy! Cue the Star Trek fight scene music!

Twisted Spar.....

Oh sorry, all those engine options in the late sixties and seventies to put in a Jetranger, I guess the C18 was their best choice at the time.

Isn't Heli Lynx looking at possibly installing a LTS 700 for the 120 already? Like I say, come to BC, and look at all them 120's around here..not! Oh and wasn't it CHL who was going to replace their entire 206 fleet with the 120, I think they have one now! I am guessing a good start for their fleet renewal program.

But really, lets compare a 40 year old machine against a new one. Yes the 120 has a place, but history will only tell its entire tale!

Funny thing....I am a Eurocopter fan!

Be very careful T-rex, you wouldn't want TwistedSpar to find any trend in your comments. He's our new Trend Monitoring Device with a hair trigger.

TQN: I think you've nailed it. TS is very similar to the "playground bully of yore".

GAZ was based in wpg with tcp for years...was flown by my buddy the chief pilot for pipeline...rod c...he would not be happy if someone was cutting down his baby....I use to help do the wrenching on the old girl...empty weight was around 2000 lbs...will call rod and ask if he saw the show...I thought that four seasons in TO had her but may have been resold again to great lakes :punk:

Twisted Spar.....

Oh sorry, all those engine options in the late sixties and seventies to put in a Jetranger, I guess the C18 was their best choice at the time.

Isn't Heli Lynx looking at possibly installing a LTS 700 for the 120 already? Like I say, come to BC, and look at all them 120's around here..not! Oh and wasn't it CHL who was going to replace their entire 206 fleet with the 120, I think they have one now! I am guessing a good start for their fleet renewal program.

But really, lets compare a 40 year old machine against a new one. Yes the 120 has a place, but history will only tell its entire tale!

Funny thing....I am a Eurocopter fan!

lets not forget TB that the majority of western operators are set in their ways and would rather dump 3/4 million into a old clapped out POS than into something new....so there is one huge reason that you see the ratio we see at this time.

Be very careful T-rex, you wouldn't want TwistedSpar to find any trend in your comments. He's our new Trend Monitoring Device with a hair trigger.

TQN: I think you've nailed it. TS is very similar to the "playground bully of yore".

T Rex and I go further back than you and I do.... :rolleyes:

Playground Bullies have their place by the way.... :punk:

Yes, I see telltale glimpses now and again, even the EC thing...though that's not unique to him. :lol: If not him, could be his twin character. :) So yeah, playground bullies do have their place, but I still say Mean People Suck. Keepin' my eye on you, Twisty! post-824-1204738960_thumb.gif :blur: post-824-1204738939_thumb.gif