Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Discovery Channel Fairytale

Guest BeeBee

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

For those (like me) that missed it... according to Discovery's website, it will be rebroadcast on the 9th for early risers (or TiVo):

Mean Green Machines: Airborne Extreme

As a veteran of the skies since the Vietnam War, the Bell 206 Helicopter is tough, dependable and sleek; the green Eurocopter boasts air bust technology and sports a deadly silent advantage it can fly undetected.

Sunday, March 09, 2008 at 5:30 AM (EST)

For those (like me) that missed it... according to Discovery's website, it will be rebroadcast on the 9th for early risers (or TiVo):

As a veteran of the skies since the Vietnam War, the Bell 206 Helicopter is tough, dependable and sleek; the green Eurocopter boasts air bust technology and sports a deadly silent advantage it can fly undetected.

I guess that I need to caveat my note above with: for Discovery Canada only. I don't see it listed for Discovery US channels. <_<

Let's see now. Technology from 1963 goes up against technology from 2007 and the 1963 technology performs well, but comes up short in certain abilities against it's peer that is 44 years younger and that the 206 makes more 'dirty air'. That's very difficult to believe.

Just remember the clocks change Sunday morning so allow for that when recording.

Its been a long week in the office, I am only stirring the pot.

For whatever the purpose of the TV show, yes technology has come along way. The 206 over the years has been put to the test by most of us on here, time will only tell what the 120 can do for us over the next 40 years or so.

Lets phrase the comparison a different way: With more than 40 years of hindsight, how much better than a 206 can Eurocopter make the EC120?

Apparently, not much. Not to say the 120 is a bad machine, but what kind of machine could it have been if they'd really pulled out the stops? I guess we'll never know.

What will be interesting is to see where it goes - will people still be able to make a living flying them in 40 years?

Funny how folks will compare lifting performance to how good a helicopter is. Crashworthiness is exceptional, baggage is huge, fenestron for quiet and safety.

Compared to the A model deathranger when it came out, the 120 is light years ahead. Give it some time to get the performance up and then compare again. As you say the 206 is 40 years old and Bell also had 40 years to get it right. Jetranger is a good old machine that is very reliable but it didn't come out of the factory that way.

But do agree that the comparison on discovery was rather gimmicky, they usually compare green machine(electric or solar) to non green(gas) so was suprised to see helicopters in it.

just my take