Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Discovery Channel Fairytale

Guest BeeBee

I wouldn't detract from the Lama's performance one bit, but keep in mind that the 407 is a wide longranger with four blades and Fadec. I guess that you could also draw comparisons to the 120 being a derivative of the Lama too.

If that's the case, then the 120 is a bit of a step down in comparison to the improvements embodied in the 407.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Yeah, I'd buy that comparison - and the 407 falls short on most measures. Close, but short; although you're probably not going to sweat as much in one if the hydraulics go south on ya (I wonder if EC will ever fix that one...).

So a better ship to compare the 120 to might be an L4 Longdog. I'd take the big cargo pit of the 120 any day but in most other respects the 'Dog is a contender.

Hey, I like any fling-wing ship - but I'm more comfortable with the ones I know.

Yes they fixed the B3 hyd system, new ones come out with dual hydrualics, so is not only safe but more expensive too...win win for eurocopter.

Funny how Bell can design single hyd system for big old sumbich 205 and eurocopter can't for light machine.....should build a burrocopter, best of both.

Skullcap ------- you appear to be 'dating' yourself. Not too many people anymore have even laid eyes on a 205 with single hydraulics.

Going to dual hydraulics on the 205 a result of the request of the US Army, the same as going to one bleed-air operated Boost Pump, as opposed to two electric. Before that, if you took a round in the wrong place and lost your electrical power, all of a sudden you had no boost pumps. That didn't mean much unless you were up in the 6000' mountains and then the cursing and swearing started.

You might be interested to know that the Huey UH-1Y has that hydraulic 'thing' going to a new level and that's because it has a complete hydraulic back-up system. So loose one or part of one and just go to the other.

it'd be more fun to compare how the intial 206 40 years ago has changed to the last one of the production line....visially, nothing i really see thats dramatic....more power of course, but has anything else been drastically changed? especially on the safety front? Quick answer would clearly be no....

when people come out and say an aircraft is underpowered...and this is any aircraft....guess what....you're using the wrong aircraft.

nobody can make a "do all" helicopter, and there are so many aircraft choices out there. Buy one that does what you want. and if you're pushing past the published flight envelope....it's not a defect of the helicopter design...it's a defect of your ability to choose the right aircraft to do your job.

The 120 has, without question, many positive traits over the older design aircraft. if safety is your main priority, it has a huge leap above any competition.

Here's an early morning picture of GAZ next to her former sister ship TCH. Great Lakes leased it from Four Season's for almost 2 years. She weighed in around 1954lbs. TCH is owned by National but in the picture, was being operated by Skyway Helicopters. (hope the pic works)

post-172-1204813277_thumb.jpg

I see next week they are comparing a hybrid Yukon to a gas power pickup,,,,both gm products, but still better than the helicopter comparison, but maybe got the ratings up.

Yes twisted, it would have been more interesting to compare old A to BIII to see where technology has gone, but most people would probably find it boring,,,,,

it'd be more fun to compare how the intial 206 40 years ago has changed to the last one of the production line....visially, nothing i really see thats dramatic....more power of course, but has anything else been drastically changed? especially on the safety front? Quick answer would clearly be no....

In the hangar one time me and another fellow starting naming parts that can be different from jetranger to jetranger and once we started we realised there wasnt much that stays the same accross all of them.