Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Advice On Gallet Lh250 Helmet

Hi

I am about to order a Gallet 250 Helmet with two visors, one yellow and one "black".

Well the person that will order the helmet for me asked me if i wanted the yellow visor one the outside or on the inside of the helmet, and consequently the black visor....

I heard the yellow visor for low vis sometime distorts the vision a little so it is better to put it in the inside slider of the helmet that way it would be closer to the eyes causing less distortion.... Does anyone has any experience or advise with this helmet and where to put each of the visors....it is the first time I am buying a helmet

Thanks

J

Put the lens you will use the most often on the easiest to use actuator.

I don't recall how the Gallets are set up, but on my SPH-5, the inner lens is actuated by a small spring-loaded knob on the edge of the visor housing, while the outer lense is actuated by a larger knob on the surface of the visor housing.

The large knob must be loosened to move the lens, then tightened once the lens is where I want it. The small knob for the inner lens needs only to be squeezed to move the lens to any of three preset positions (notches in the edge of the visor housing).

Since I use my dark lens most of the time, I had it put in the inner position. I had the yellow lens put in the outer position.

As far as my visor goes, neither lens has any noticeable distortion.

Good luck with your new toy ! :)

My lh250 is setup with dark on the inside and the amber lense on the outside. The inner visor on the 250 actually buttons right up against your face, when flying vertical referance with the doors off it's perfect.

I use my dark one almost all the time and the yellow when it's to dark for the dark one, I almost always have one or the other down.

For referance skidz, the gallets have the inner one on a simple knob turn system, not spring loaded what so ever. The upper visor just slides down and clicks into place in one of a few different positions, then to retract you simply pinch the support and it slides back up.

I would ***** whether or not you really think you need the yellow at all, I flew with a guy who had a brand new one with the inner visor only on thursday and it looked pretty sharp. Like I said I use mine alot but lots of people hardly ever use theres.

Cheers.

Cole.

Hi,

Just my two cents worth.....but like others have said....I perfer the dark closest to my face(inner) buta co-worker of mine has it the opposite citing ventilation issues...so it's personal preference.....but the actuation of the inner lens is very easy with a simple knob on either side of said helmet.... I can only speak for myself but the yellow or amber lens has been very helpful in low,flat light situations and reduced vis. ops........meritt apparel out of miami is really the best spot as per many pilots i work with and a pleasure doing business w/.

Fly safe

Lte

I like the avatar LTE, is that you suiting up just before a flight?

I really like the yellow visor, especially working flat low light conditions on really white surfaces.

A side note, the pilot with the single inner visor frequently works where he can't have the extra thickness of the outter set.

Also, I had to switch my mic off of my 250 from merrit apperal, the electret that comes on it is of poor quality, I swapped it for a David Clark and thats about all. Really great service there!

Cheers.

Cole

I have the LH050. That's the one with the internal visor only, and I love it.

The helmet has a very nice low profile for popping your head in and out of longline windows and the less weight the better, especially weight that would be on your forehead.

I tend to just fly with polarized sunglasses anyway and will only drop the tinted visor down if its incredibly bright to give the eyes an extra rest. I have never used a yellow tint visor but I imagine if you don't have polarized brown high contrast tinted sunglasses, the yellow might be nice in bad weather.

And I also vouch for Merit apparel in Florida, he is the best guy by far to buy a helmet from.

QUOTE (Jet B @ Mar 15 2008, 09:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have the LH050. That's the one with the internal visor only, and I love it.

The helmet has a very nice low profile for popping your head in and out of longline windows and the less weight the better, especially weight that would be on your forehead.

I tend to just fly with polarized sunglasses anyway and will only drop the tinted visor down if its incredibly bright to give the eyes an extra rest. I have never used a yellow tint visor but I imagine if you don't have polarized brown high contrast tinted sunglasses, the yellow might be nice in bad weather.

And I also vouch for Merit apparel in Florida, he is the best guy by far to buy a helmet from.

I bought my Alpha with a yellow visor and found that I rarely used it as I found i didnt like the view! I have started wearing polarized sunglasses now which work much better on the low light days.

BSH