Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Dom Alberta

Here is where I finally jump in. I will give you the short version of a recent experience.

I recently invested significant time and expense to make my services available to a company looking for am DOM. I made the initial trip east to Ontario to meet with the first heli operator you will find on this side of that province. A verbal agreement was made for a return trip to start the process of taking on the responsibility. I made it clear this would require audit and assessment of the current structure and owner support for the AMO. On my return I waited 1.5 weeks for the owner to make some time to meet and develop a plan. This meeting was short on time and content and it left me with many concerns as to what I was getting into. I expressed a need to further discuss my observations and findings only to run up against the wall of the owner declaring himself as the person who signs the paychecks and he is not accepting of criticism. This is an attitude that seems to be common amongst owner/operators and represents a closed door to productive dialog and support. Needless to say I packed up and returned west with my tail between my legs.

As pilots, engineers and others in this industry, it is important we take the time prior to accepting employment to look beyond the shiny paint, slick web sites and personal desires to read between the lines. In the end the responsibility for the things we do still falls upon us as individuals and caving to the pressure and intimidation to do otherwise despite our better judgment still exists. The recent results of the case of the pilot who crashed in Winnipeg is an example of where the courts will go with assigning responsibility on the individual. Don't expect anyone to back you up on your support for poor decision requests when the crap hits the fan. Ask the hard questions up front: Is there adequate staff to support the work load? Is there respect for current thinking on Human Factors? Are you expected to keep things flying and delay log entries until maintenance can be completed. Is there a separate set of "bush rules"? The questions are many and we need to be proactive and up front with our concerns or the "old ways" will persist.

Thanks for your time and I look forward to the challenges and adventures of another season.

A.C.M.E.

I must add a disclaimer as the enter key is sometimes pressed before the second proof reading is done.

My intent of passing on my experience and suggestion of what to look for in advance is not an indication of what any particular company's or individual's policies may be. I simply want to encourage forward thinking and good choice as to where our services are applied. We must all be proactive SMS self managers.

Thanks again

A.C.M.E.