Notice: Effective July 1, 2024, Vertical Forums will be officially shut down. As a result, all forum activity will be permanently removed. We understand that this news may come as a disappointment, but we would like to thank everyone for being a part of our community for so many years.

If you are interested in taking over this Forum, please contact us prior to July 1.

Crashabaska Airways

The story of how Floyd got his first 206 is not a good one. (A typical Glass deal where someone loses)

The joke was that his funeral attendance was so great because everyone came to make sure he was gone.

He gave a lot of people their start, but then again, some of his business practices were not honest, and downright dirty.

Athabaska gave me my start in the industry. I started in 89 and broke a 1000 hours on the S55T (BVP) on a summer fire contract in Pelican Narrows. I worked 2 years for Flloyd, Bob and Jim. Had a lot of good times there and still keep in contact with a few of the guys I worked with. One of the engineers that worked there when I started whom I have a huge amount of respect for works for us now.

They gave a fair number of pilots their start in the industry.

Todd

Hey Todd, how many times did you have to walk home after the stove quit?

Only was within walking distance once. But cut a pad the second time (nutz deep in loon shite) and caught a ride home in a 500. The pad cutting experience gave me a whole new view in the time it takes to cut a pad, after that I had a lot more respect for those on the ground cutting pads and I have never rushed them since when they are cutting one.

After flying the S55T with the famous "Decel System" I learned how to "fly" there was little to no room for error, although you couldn't drive a pin up me arse with a jackhammer after each season either.LOL

• 2 weeks later...

I was an employee with these guys back then and still am. Glad the old S55's are gone but they were pretty good for moving bulk and as far as ease of working on the old girls they weren't too bad. Some of the 206's are still A and W but that is changing. Huge changes going on here right now. Doubled the fleet in one year and still getting more. Tons of work in Saskabush right now. Old Morse Grant passed away a few years ago, but Jim Munro and Cliff Thompson are still kicking around. Seen many people get their start here and some still keep in touch.

Was with Athabasca '70 through '72 or '73 out of LaRonge and occasionally good old B'Narrrows. Bob Glass was the base manager at LaRonge and Maurice at the Narrows. Dave Jackson took over just before I left. I think he went on to start his own Air Service at Sandy Bay. Sorry to hear about Maurice but he must have been a thousand years old. He was several hundred when I worked with him. He'd never had a 185 catch fire on start-up until we told him they did it, and then it happened almost every time...to hear him tell it. Didn't trust helicopters at all in those days, funny how that worked out.